HD Axle parts

Off on a bit of a tangent,

But does anyone know of anyone running the maxidrive swivel conversion to run 101 c/v's.

No, it was one of the options I looked at while thinking about CVs. The price is pretty steep, though....

No, it was one of the options I looked at while thinking about CVs. The price is pretty steep, though....

I vaguely recall a conversation with Mal of Maxidrive some years ago and the cost of the 101 CV conversion was right up there with his portal axles. The swivel balls were designed to fit into Series 1,2 and 3 outer swivel housings, which are significantly larger than coiler ones. They were really designed for the rear end to make Maxidrives 4 wheel steering conversion viable.

I have got a pair of 101 swivel assembles that I converted to be bolt on like regular Landies. The spindles (stub axles) were machined down to take 2 inch ID bearings. Regular Landy hubs were bored out for these bearings and drive flanges broached or slotted to the 101's 21 spline pattern.

I intended to use these on a cv eating Salisbury front axle I built and ran for many years, but in the end I elected not to use them because replacement cv's , if or when needed are manufactured from either Unobtanium or Unaffordium ,so I decided to make portals instead. They will probably be fodder for a future project.

Bill.