Wing Mirror Modification

SolihullBeast

I was not sure if this belonged on the defender forum, or discovery forum, so I though I would post here!

As the title suggest has anyone done or heard of this modification? My experience of discovery wing mirrors (especially 200tdi) is that they are fairly brittle and do not take the same amount of abuse that the defender units take. I would be interested in seeing if anyone has fitted defender mirrors to a Discovery 1? From what I can see it would involve welding a plate onto the door frame, then is a simple case of drilling two holes and bolting the units on. Are there any MOT/legal implications? I understand that some may see this as a waste of time, and fair enough, generally my pondering mind doesn't usually produce great engineering concepts! However I thought if I was going to ask, this is the place to do it!

Cheers

Sam

My mate has done it on his Range Rover, you can just make them out in this only picture I have of it -

DSC00122.jpg

He did it by cutting some (6mm, I think he used) aluminium sheet to the same shape as the door mirror's base, drilling fixing holes to suit those in the Range Rover door frame and holes for the Defender mirror's fixings in the appropriate positions.

He painted the aluminium mounts satin black and bolted it all together.

Charlie Thorn documented doing it to a Discovery 1, in a past issue of LRM.

Once you have removed the Disco mirrors you are left with the steel plate that they bolt to - as I recall it's a reasonably thick plate. I would be inclined to drill new holes in the positions needed for the Defender mirrors. Then just blank off (with weld/sealant/gaffer tape - your choice) any unused holes to keep the weather out.

If you get it right you should even be able to refit the plastic trim cover on the inside :D

As mickeyw says the plate that Disco 1 mirrors bolt to is 2mm odd thick so there's nothing stopping you just bolting them on. Youd be left with the three slots to which the original mirror bolts to blank off but it ain't rocket science. Even with the most picky of MOT inspectors the defender mirrors shouldn't stick out any further than the originals so I doubt they would care, the insurance company would probably view it as another excuse to fleece you though....

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to trying it, and I'm quite pleased. Much better view for reversing. I used some 20thou thick 'plasticard' to neaten up the outside, and just drilled and bolted to the existimg 2mm steel.

5481487525_fa89d79eea.jpg

IMAG0036 by MrKev, on Flickr

And it was quite easy getting a cable through for the heated mirrors too:

5481503123_2d42ec5d20.jpg

5482078256_ef73bdfec5_o by MrKev, on Flickr

Kev

Finally got round to trying it, and I'm quite pleased. Much better view for reversing. I used some 20thou thick 'plasticard' to neaten up the outside, and just drilled and bolted to the existimg 2mm steel.

5481487525_fa89d79eea.jpg

IMAG0036 by MrKev, on Flickr

And it was quite easy getting a cable through for the heated mirrors too:

5481503123_2d42ec5d20.jpg

5482078256_ef73bdfec5_o by MrKev, on Flickr

Kev

Bang tidy! :P