Cross Member

In the middle of changing the transfer box on the range rover, and I've run into a small obstacle. Well, quite a large obstacle actually. A cross member sized obstacle...

I've taken the bolts out, and had hoped the weight of the transmission lowered onto it would be sufficient to shift it, but it appears not. I need to remove it so I can get the transfer box low enough to clear the floor.

Think I've seen something about spreading the chassis with a bottle jack? How do you go about doing this in a remotely safe way?

May sound daft but does it move when you give it full belt with a lump hammer?

If you cab get some movement atall just keep hitting it back and forwards till you can start beating it downwards at either end.

SG

Doesn't budge. Land Rover tool no.1 was the first thing I tried :D

Bugger, other than a bottle jack in some way I have no idea.

SG

A heavy hide mallett has always worked for me.

What about a hi-lift with a top clamp, and use it to spread rather than compress ?

With a bottle jack, you need a piece of wood so that you can press on both chassis rails at the same time.

Not sure if bottle jacks like working horizontally though :(

I've got an old siccisor jack I use for thing like this.

Geoff,

The bottle jack that came with it will be fine. The problem with the high lift i that there is no intermediate points between the holes so unless you space it out exactly, it will be either loose (therefore doing nothing) or over-pushing. With the bottle jack, there is lots more adjustment.

It does not actually take much to push the chassis apart sufficiently enough to get the crossmember out. If you are working "on the ground", get a piece of post that is long enough to fit between jack pad and chassis then squeeze the jack until it is holding itself up (IIRC, have the jack lying with the piston on the low side) then gently pump it :P Do not have any body parts under the crossmember while you do this... :o

I don't honestly think there is any super-safe way to do it because you are going to have stored energy and a jack/block which would like to fall. I suppose you could try and get a bit of tube to fit the jack or bore out the centre of the piece of wood so that the pad and jack piston are 3 or 4" up to minimise the likelyhood of them buckling but other than that just be careful.

Okay - cheers, everyone.

I'll have another got with Land Rover tool no.1 now it's had a good soak with WD40, and if that doesn't work it's down to B&Q for a fencepost or somesuch. Nothing suitable lying around, unfortunately :(

Re boring a hole in the post - I could probably do that with the router, but I'd be concerned about damaging the jack if it went - could put quite a high bending load on it.

Plus Gas is even better than WD40, or if you can find there's a product called 'Heave Ho' which is the absolute dogs danglies for shifting things that don't want to shift. You don't often need to employ too much of Land Rover tool Nº1 if you use it, so it must be good!

Plus Gas is even better than WD40, or if you can find there's a product called 'Heave Ho' which is the absolute dogs danglies for shifting things that don't want to shift. You don't often need to employ too much of Land Rover tool Nº1 if you use it, so it must be good!

Where do I get my hands on them? Anything that unstucks stick :D things better than WD40 has got to be worth having around with two land rovers on the drive...

Plus Gas you can get anywhere, even Halfords. I get it from the local Unipart place 'cos for some reason they think I'm trade <_<

Heave Ho is rather more esoteric, I get given a can now and again from a mate who works in an industrial sparkies in Glasgow. I've never managed to find out where they get it.

• 2 weeks later...

WD40 is not a penetrating oil …………. IIRC it’s a water dispersant oil……….. but seems to work as a penetrating fluid on mildly stuck things.

Plus Gas is a true penetrating oil and will not dry out like WD40…… and it is a lot more expensive, and works way, way better than WD40.

IIRC WD40 is a mixture of White Spirit & Lanolin ……….. good for you hands Geoff :D

Ian