Eberspacher Water Heater - Worth It?

Hey all,

So my project 110 came without a heater matrix and I have been looking around and was wondering what peoples views were of putting Eberspacher Water Heaters in with a bigger heater matrix?

Also if anyone has plumbed one of these in on a 200tdi or similar engine I would love to see some photos of it all mounted etc.

I was thinking along the lines of a Eberspacher D5WZ or similar.

Or do you think it better to go for the Eberspacher Air Heaters instead?

Cheers,

James

I had the eberspacher air heat In an old 90 soft top I had

It was great worked really well and used to set it on a timer while I was in the pub at might an them come out to the really warm 90 and drive off

But also worked great for off road trips

Easy to fit too

Do these just warm up the engine water to operating temp or do they make the existing heater better?

Can they be used to keep the insides warm overnight like a lorry cab heater? Would love to ba able to make my heater up to jap type standard!

Ta.

The watyer heaters only warm the coolant, so are totally dependent on your existing heater to warm the car up. They can be used as pre-heaters though, which is quite groovy.

The air heaters are better if you just want a lot of nice warm air in your cab without faffing with the existing heater.

so should I search e-bay for "air heater" or is there a type to look for? Is this what the truckers have in their cabs?

Have a search back for "eberspacher" and "webasto" all is explained, including full factory install & user manuals for the various flavours.

Guest wunntenn

Yes worth it. I have one in my 200Tdi 110, and its really useful. Heats engine block so cold starts in -15 are no problem, partly thaws doors from inside, defrosts windscreen, and heats interior to comfortable with its 4KW output, using .25L diesel an hour. Standard timer allows 24 hour preset so its can come on automatically in the morning an hour before you need to go out.

Some VW vans have them and I believe they were fitted as standard to some Freelanders but with no control unit which you'd to buy separately. Scrappies and yacht chandlers may have s/h ones.

Easily user-serviced too, mine has been on for ten years or more and I've changed the glowplugs, fuel pump and other bits that wear out relatively easily. Parts expensive but its made in vorsprungdurchtechnik land.

The watyer heaters only warm the coolant, so are totally dependent on your existing heater to warm the car up. They can be used as pre-heaters though, which is quite groovy.

The air heaters are better if you just want a lot of nice warm air in your cab without faffing with the existing heater.

Not quite true, there is no reason why you cannot either extend your coolant system or run a separate coolant system.

We run a D5W to power 2 household radiators in our coach as a separate coolant system (OK, in a Land Rover that might be harder to do due to space)

Some VW vans have them and I believe they were fitted as standard to some Freelanders but with no control unit which you'd to buy separately.

Not quite true - I have one on my freebie and it's a self-contained unit with very few external wires, dead simple, no external controls needed bar an on/off switch/timer/relay/remote control which can be anything from an egg timer upwards. It's in the RAVE manual for 2001MY Freelanders. The fuel pump is under the back. There's a big thread about it on the FL forum.

The proper Telestart kits are ~£150, very bling though.

Not quite true, there is no reason why you cannot either extend your coolant system or run a separate coolant system.

We run a D5W to power 2 household radiators in our coach as a separate coolant system (OK, in a Land Rover that might be harder to do due to space)

I have got a D5W for my Defender(yet to fit) I don't think it will cause to much of an issue if I add another heater matrix into the cooling loop (paralleled with the original one)

Also whilst I have the bodywork off the car - does anyone know where I can tap into the diesel line for the eberspacher heater? Can I go in after the fuel lift pump? Should I use the return? Or do I need to tap in before the engine does anything with it?

From having a Google about the place people are suggesting is after the lift pump and before the filter.

I was thinking of fitting mine after the filter as it would save adding a separate filter in-line but I am unsure as to how will the Eberspacher's fuel pump will work with the extra resistance.