OT: Tipping trailers

BogMonster

I'm thinking about getting a tipping trailer to tow behind the 110. Will be used for all sorts but the tipping bit will be mainly for crushed rock, sand, garden rubbish etc. Ideally gross wt of 3500kg as the trailer will weigh about a ton and a couple of tons of rock is not that much so I don't want anything lighter.

Apart from the obvious Ifor Williams (the TT105 is the model that fits the bill) what other options are worth looking at? Obviously I can type it into Google but am after real world experience as I don't want something that is junk.

The Ifor chassis is good but their dropsides are rubbish so anything that has better/stronger sides would be interesting. My father has a LT105 dropside and the brackets holding the mid-side uprights on break as soon as there is a gust of wind, lousy inherently weak design, don't really think it would stand up to holding in crushed rock, sand etc if the TT has the same design which it looks like it does from the photos.

Ta :)

The local parish council has an Atlas 10x6 3500kg, been well abused ;) tipping mechanism very strong and reliable, drop sides no sign of breakage at pivot /mounting points...http://www.atlastrailers.co.uk/trailers_specifications.asp

A friend has a Buffalo 12'x6' tri axle, but only carries rubber granuals so not really abused but he thinks its beter than the Ifor her had before....http://www.buffalotrailers.co.uk/electrictipping.htm

I have an ifor, and have found it invaluable... No issues, the occasional rear light lense broken when tipping.... Having said that, i have seen others like the buffalo, that are a 3 way tip, and just occasionally that function would be really useful....

all my brackets are Ok on the ifor...

Oh, mines the 8x5 version. I had the 10ft version before, and always ended up with close to 4000Kg Gross, one of those moments at the quary " fill it up sunshine".... So the smaller unit is better IMHO as full to bursting is circa 2000Kg on board.

I don't see the point in a tri axle, as this only reduces the carry weight.

just my 2 peneth....

the usual trick with ifor drop sides i to ply line them with 10mm ply.

Ply doesn't help as the problem is that the mid-side upright is held on to the body at the bottom with 1 bolt which goes into a poxy bracket folded out of 3mm plate with a nut tack welded on the back which immediately breaks as soon as there is any load pushing out on the side. Really poor bit of design.

Looked at Atlas, looks like an option worth considering :)

Interesting point on the smaller trailer too, hadn't really considered that. I already have a GD85 though so was after something bigger as well.

The smaller Ifor tipper only grosses at 2700kg. We have a brand new TT105 at work and the corner and center pillar sockets are box secction. the pillars are still channel section. In all honesty our trailers are very much abused at work we have 8 trailers with the design of socket you describe and have never damaged one even when loading big timber with the tractor it bounces on the floor and rolls to the far side. Sometimes its 4' diameter stuff.

agree with you Mad mat...

have broken the floor before now with numpty loaders dropping stuff in, but not much else..... we had a close shave once loading with an International Loader, on soft ground, and the grouynd broke away while the bucket was in the air, and dropped a full bucket on the ifor side, with only a small twist... removed at a later date, and straightnd with a few bits of timber, and driving a Land Rover over it, and all was well.

My biggest ifor problem, is the tailgates (just on tipper models).... When empty, we regularly loose the tailboard pins,(not loose as in loose, but they come addrift from the locating holes) and the bottom latch mechanism..... so end up with a couple of bungeeees holding them to stop the bounce factor. I've looked at drilling the pins to take a small tractor pin, but not really enought meat.... Thought about R clips, but its just another clip to loose....