Chassis Engine Mounts

stuck

Hi all,

Looking at buying a second truck, I'm missing my V8 (TD5 is good but not that good).

I've got my eye on a cheap 90 fitted with a N.A. 2.5, my question is do I need to mod the chassis to drop a V8 in or all they all the same?

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I've only modified RRC's before.

Thanks,

Mick.

You will need to fix V8 chassis engine mounts.

See link to my build below. I had a TD5 chassis and needed to change the chassis mounts in order to fit the RV8. The RV8 mounts are different from the diesels i believe..

You wil need to weld them on. Although the brackets themselves have holes for them to be bolted, thats only if you have a V8 chassis as they have the captive nuts needed to just bolt the brackets on..

Phil

Happy to help.

If you need info on the best way to position the brackets give me a shout.

Phil

Yes please Sir (unless it's in your build thread which I will read tomorrow.)

Edit: Today :ph34r:

No wonder the wife hates Land Rovers (swap her for an oil filter, filters brand new and I'll pay postage) :lol:

Cant remember so i'll just post it.. :lol:

What i did was bolt the V8 block/bellhousing to the gearbox (in my case R380) and then temporarily bolt the gearbox to its mountings.

Obviously the weight will be taken by a hoist at the front. When you lower the block (with engine mounts bolted) down you can scribe round the chassis mounts leaving an outline on the chassis legs. Then remove the lot and get about welding.

Does that make sense? Im kinda tired so dunno if im explaining it as clear as i could lol. What gearbox do you plan on using?

EDIT: What you DONT wanna do is make a guesstimate measurement from the front, weld em in, then discover that your gearbox wont bolt to its mountings!

when i did mine i did it the same way as need4speed above,but instead of just marking where they go i just tacked them in position,unbolt from block,raise engine,then just seam welded them up.then you can just lower the engine back down and your done.

simples....

Would it not be cheaper/easier just to get a V8 truck, I've been watching the fleebay and verious othe rplaces for a 110CSW, and all the V8 models are going heaps cheaper than any TDI, I was actually thinking of doing a reverse conversion as the price difference is that big. Just a thought.

when i did mine i did it the same way as need4speed above,but instead of just marking where they go i just tacked them in position,unbolt from block,raise engine,then just seam welded them up.then you can just lower the engine back down and your done.

simples....

Yep. I would have done exactly that. Only thing was, i have a galv chassis and i then remembered i had to do a thorough job of removing the galv before i could weld. Otherwise the welding would have been 'interesting'....

Phil

Would it not be cheaper/easier just to get a V8 truck, I've been watching the fleebay and verious othe rplaces for a 110CSW, and all the V8 models are going heaps cheaper than any TDI, I was actually thinking of doing a reverse conversion as the price difference is that big. Just a thought.

Actually, reading above and noticing you dont actually have the truck yet, Maverik makes a valid point. The V8 trucks are cheaper to buy than the TDi's - even though there miles better... :ph34r:

Phil