Wastegate actuator rod

Can anyone let me know the distance from the centre of the Wastegate rod hole to the bracket face (as a standard setting before modification for turbo boost)?

I have needed to replace my wastegate because it was leaking and the one that was originally on it is different to the one that I have to change (original has a lot of the thread showing and about 28mm from bracket face to nut and new one has a very small amount of thread showing, 30mm from bracket face to nut and no chance of screwing in the shaft to the rod end).

I'm trying to get the turbo set up as standard before mods but now im little confused :huh:

(200tdi disco engine)

AFAIK, there is no standard dimension/length - it will need to be adjusted with a boost gauge connected as the distance it is set to will differ with fuelling settings. I'd rig up a boost gauge and adjust the rod so it is at 0.8bar as a standard.

Ok so I seam to have hit an issue here. Set the wastegate arm up so that it was on the pin with enough pressure to close the flap, put the gauge on and got 0.8 bar. Wound the wastegate rod in by about 9mm (all that it would go before to bottomed out) and its still at 0.8. Turned the star wheel by 3/4 turn and its still 0.8. Wound the 'smoke' screw I'm by a turn and its still at 0.8 bar.

Am I missing a trick here?

Yes, all trials with different settings were on the road.

For ref the distance from the wastegate bracket to the lock nut on the wastegate arm is 29mm. Not sure if it should be less than this to achieve a higher boost pressure or not. The eye piece has not been modified in any way.

You shorten the rod to increase the boost, but may need to do this in combination with an increase the fuel. The two fuelling modifications you mention you have done wont do much to the boost pressure as they affect fuelling off boost (smoke screw) and the rate at which the boost affects the fuelling set by the cone under the diaphragm stay wheel adjustment). Alter the fuelling under boost by changing the position of the cone as described in the attached pdf (its more detailed than i can describe!)

tdi pump tuning.pdf

Thanks Reb, having read this doc a number of times I am now in this position....

Wastegate wound in by 9mm (max it will go)

Stroke limiting pin checked - nice and loose

Star wheel rotated by 3/4 cw

Diaphram rotated to give max fuel

Smoke screw wound in be 1 1/2 turns

Still 0.8 bar :-(

hmmmmmm. I'm a little bit stumped. Perhaps the threaded rod from the actuator needs cutting to shorten it further? Wouldnt do this until others have commented though. Can you put some pics up of the old and new setup? I presume it is the correct part?