kam air locker!!!

thefarrier

i came across a 24 spline kam air locker (that right air locker) which i didnt even know they had made, works a lot like new type but has a box half way down the axle and has a air operated fork the slides a shaft on or off the flange that locks the diff, just wondered if any one on here has one or tried one so i can fine out if its worth ago

However, if you know the right people, getting new shafts or internal components made isn't that hard.

PM me if you need bits and I'll put you in touch with the appropriate companies. You can get a custom shaft made for under £100 in pretty much any material you like.

Si

As you say the early KAM diffs have a hugely long spline where the lock unit slides up and down, the

mildest twists sees this "Jam up", and there is not much you can do about it,

The new system used std type shafts, so you can use any shaft from std to m300+unobtanium etc - whatever

your fancy, the locker works via a dog lock system, so no long splines.

The new shafts are far superior in both Metal spec, and treatments, they are in my humble up there with the best

they did do some super long shafts for the old system,so you could "Upgrade" but the prices of the shafts are such

I wouldn't do it, better to sell the working system, and use the money for other options. I have 2 x ARBs in my truck,

but have the KAM Halfshafts and CV units, I have not heard of any issues with breakages on these new shafts, quite the reverse

In the curent challenge world the old system just is not man enough, ghowever 20 years ago when it was made it ticked the boxes

things have moved on at an amazing rate and also whats out there to buy

Bit like saying I have an early 8074 and was thinking of going gigglepin twin motor, prob not the best

value for money route :lol:

Nige

As you say the early KAM diffs have a hugely long spline where the lock unit slides up and down, the

mildest twists sees this "Jam up", and there is not much you can do about it,

Err - actually there is! The internal splines on the bit that slides over the half-shaft are fairly long. If you use a lathe to reduce the length of the female spline - it jams less for a given twist. The splines are longer than they need to be to transmit the torque.

Si