ABS Warning Light

bishbosh

I agree that 2-8 may be the only culprit, but I am getting 6V on all pins of the multiplug going into the ABS wotsit on the wing. I also have checked continuity from the pins to earth.......

Bluddy electrickery :(

Charles,

This looks more and more like a wiring related fault, however, I think my first call would be the ECU. Although reading the destructions that Geoff kindly posted, the brake light switch seems to do more than meets the eye.

The solenoid block is usually fairly bombproof and you are saying that you have all the correct voltages on the correct pins ? ……… and knowing you like I do, I would suspect that you have checked this more than once. I that is the case then it looks if the ECU may be reading them incorrectly.

I suppose the other fundamental issue to check is ………. Are you getting the speed signals back to the ECU ? ……….. I don’t know, but common sense tells me they would have picked these up from the speedo pulse sender.

Ian

My friendly Independant is going to hava a look :( . Hopefully they can undersdtand the faults better than me. At least I'll get an honest diagnosis and can then decide if swapping out the ABS is the right thing to do... :unsure:

Don't believe the system uses the speedo pulse, just the four wheel sensors.

Bad earth? always a possibility, check supplies and earth at ECU.

Small point, did you unplug the solenoid connector to measure the voltages? things like this are always better measured while everything is connected, a digital multimeter has such a high impedance it will pick up a voltage from any leakage in the ECU particularly when the load is disconnected. Personally I use a test lamp on any circuit where higher currents are involved as the DMM can just confuse you.

Minor soapbox issue, I think ABS is so good it should be compulsory on all new vehicles.I even thought about fitting it to my G-reg Disco but the effort would be horrendous. Climbing off soapbox, exit stage left. :D

Shaun

PS. I do stuff like this for a living, I'm an Autoelectrician. Puts Down trumpet.

YIPPIEEEEE!!!!!

9.05pm tonight, the light has finally gone out on the road test :D:D:D .

My local guys had a fiddle and swapped out a couple of relays to leave one persistant fault - air gap on right rear, the same right rear that I lunched a wheel bearing on. :huh:

So, off with the hub and replace the somewhat damaged exciter ring :blink: , hub back on, push home the sensor and off up the road for a test.

I am one happy bunny!

Now all I need is to get an MOT appointment for tomorrow before the engine swap on Saturday!

If anyone is at a loose end on the weekend I am supplying beer and pizza in exchange for labour ;) Don't get any big ideas though - Fruity is in charge so you will just be minions like me :D

Thanks for all the "don't give up" encouragement chaps!

Congrats Charlie - probably best to keep the ABS for offroad anyway with an auto (although at least you're moving to a sensible engine now).

Are you planning the whole weekend for one hub (with beer and pizza)? If you're done by Sunday you could head over to Salisbury Plain for a shakedown before BDB.

Yep, chez moi is the venue. Would be good to see you, but make sure your winch is ready for BDB06 - I don't want to be dragging a 90 around again! :lol::lol:

Well as the stuff to wire up the winch arrived today I'd best get on with that so I have a winch for dragging a (engineless :rolleyes: ) RR round all day :P

• 8 years later...

Got a question for you why does the abs pump on my disco td5 keep running,and lost brakes and put new master cylinder on went to bleed the brakes got a pedal then started disco had a drive around lost brakes again tryed to bleed brakes again just keeps useing fluid 4.5 litres don't know where fluid is going no leaks still no brakes.