Disco 200tdi turbo connection problem

Hi

I have the Disco 200Tdi in the 90 conversion and due to some splits and appalling installation of hoses and pipes now have to replace the intercooler hoses.

The original installation by previous owner left a lot to be desired and really buggered up space/access in engine bay and the soft hose parts had some severe kinks in. After reading a lot of posts and talking with a few people i decided to go for a nice silicon hose & Ali pipework conversion kit. The problem i am now having is fitting the lower hose/pipe to the turbo.

It is extremely tight to the inner wheel arch liner and the maker of the kit says most people have made a cut in the liner or have rotated the turbo to a more user friendly angle!!

Being new to Land Rovers i have no idea whether it is possible to rotate the turbo to make the output tube easier to get on to, or even if this should be considered doing. Looking at it i am concerned about the linkages etc and would not even know where to start or how to rotate it if i could!!

I would certainly hate to cut a hole in the inner wheel arch and could not find any mention of having to do this in any posts so far.

I have to say the guy that makes the kit has been pretty helpful and has said he would refund the cost but i would rather get the kit fitted if possible to do without buggering up the vehicle to do so.

The top pipe fits perfect and looks the dog's danglies, it is just this turbo end that is feking it up!! :(

If anyone has thoughts on this i would appreciate input and suggestions.

Cheers

Kev

Yes, do a search. There are thread with photos on this forum.

Hi Red

Just spent 45 mins searching and did not manage to find anything relating to what im after. Most of the time was spent rethinking how to do search without using 2 letter words!!!!!

I get a lot of great advice and help on the forums and really do try to find it out by myself first if possible but the search method/system on here is an art form in itself. A lot of good info i have found came from trolling through shed loads of postings which never showed up in searches!!

If you know of any good posts regarding the connection of the turbo pipes etc i would really appreciate a point in their direction.

Cheers

Kev

stripping a turbo the front air compressor housing can be rotated by removing the housing circlip, move the housing so the inlet connection is easier to access 7 refit big circlip

disco 200tdi in to a older 90/110 you ight have read this already.

Blimey Ralph

Must have read that post a dozen times since joining LR4x4 and never clocked the bit about cutting the arch!!! Doh :blink:

I just read the other link about rotating the housing and it sounds the way to go but it does not mention what i have read in the link Red put up about having to drill and tap new actuator mount position which sounds like having to take the whole turbo unit off the engine which i don't really want to get into as it would be a totally new project!!

I'm a little ( lot ) confused now as if there is no need to remount the actuator then turning the housing would be the neatest way of doing it but if drilling and taping is involved it sounds as if it could get pretty complicated and hazzardous when sheared nuts/studs are talked about.

Any clarification on what is actually involved in rotation of the housing? I will be googling this as well Red ;)

Cheers

Kev

If you just release the circlip and then rotate the alloy housing - you may damage the very thin seal between the two parts. You should detach the housing, put it in the new position, then replace the clip. The housing should be drilled and tapped (M6 coarse) to secure the actuator bracket. To avoid tapping and drilling - you might get away with holding the bracket in place with a big jubilee clip. Bit of a bodge, but it might work. You coul also make a hole in the inner wheel arch, but if you go off road, the turbo and general area gets plastered with muck. I would suggest if you go down that route that you fabricate a 'cup' of metal to protect the turbo, so pretty-much a re-shaped wheel arch.

Les.

Don't think at this stage i'll be tackling the rotating of the alloy housing as it seems quite involved and without much left in the kitty can't justify making a cock up and costing yet more parts. I think refitting the original bodge will at least keep me going for now until i get more time/experience to do the work, i did'nt really want to go down the "cut the arch" route purely for the reasons Les made regarding ingress around the turbo etc and unless it is a really well done job it would look pants as well!!

I'll post an update as and when it gets sorted.

Cheers all

Kev