Hello!

Hello everybody,

Thought I'd start with and introduction and also to say thanks. I have been trawling these forums for weeks and have found the answers to MANY questions. At last I have got myself the Landrover I've been looking for so I thought I'd best join officially and then I can begin asking myriads of questions.

Anyway, brief history: Grew up and now live again in West Cornwall. My Dad has always had SII and SIII petrol landrovers for as long as I can remember which includes many childhood memories of replacing half shafts etc. We have just gone from having one Landy to 3 in the last week! YIPEEE. We still have a 1978 90 Pickup 2.25 petrol which is our trusty battered farm vehicle - sadly the chassis is so far gone that this stays on the farm only and we haven't reMOT'd it - but for a farm vehicle she still rocks. Recently we got a SIII 2.25 diesel 90 with Bizarre tipper conversion off a friend which aside from the electrics is a beauty - I reckon a paintball club or an outdoor boot camp place must have had it as its been painted MOD colours and has loads of strange buttons fixed to the dash and strange wiring (definitely NOT an MOD landy though).

I however have long dreamed of a 110 camper conversion and ow I have her! She's a beauty 1997 300tdi 110 (Special vehicles) which has been converted inside in marine ply and done really well. I've attached pics of our current LR family.

post-30453-0-67432100-1300816468_thumb.jpg post-30453-0-71253500-1300816485_thumb.jpg

Anyway I also have a quick starter question. I need to run a wire fed off the ignition feed. I'm wondering if there's a free terminal in the main fuse board that I can run a wire from that is live only when the ignition is on?

All the best

Ziggy

(Ps I'll get pics of the interior conversion up soon)

Welcome Ziggy :) What do you need the extra wire for? Load on the circuit may be important.

Les.

Thanks for the welcome. Re ign lead. Instead of running my split charge relay from the D+ alternator feed, I want to put a manual switch on my dash which activates/switches the relay. I figured if there was a free ign wire (either in the fuse box or 12V cig lighter panel then I could run this to my manual dash mounted switch which in turn is wired to the split charge relay. Thus I control when the split charge is on or off but also because it will be fed off an ign circuit if I accidently forget to switch it off after parking at least I know the relay will be disconnected and batteries not in parallel - not ideal for starting mind but I'm pretty good at remembering these things.

On this note many have asked why not automate it from the alternator D+ feed - quite simply I have had bad experiences of this and I like the ability to have control over my charging system.

Cheers

Ziggy

You will have to used a scotch splice if you want to pick up power off a wire in the fuse box, but there will almost certainly be a free connection point behind the centre controls (in the middle of the dashboard, where the cigar lighter socket and rear wiper switch go).

If you want one which goes on and off with the ignition you are looking for a white (unfused) or green (fused) wire. You may also find one which is white with an orange stripe - this is the 'radio' feed - it's on when the ignition is on, but goes off when the engine is being cranked.

Nick.

You will have to used a scotch splice if you want to pick up power off a wire in the fuse box, but there will almost certainly be a free connection point behind the centre controls (in the middle of the dashboard, where the cigar lighter socket and rear wiper switch go).

If you want one which goes on and off with the ignition you are looking for a white (unfused) or green (fused) wire. You may also find one which is white with an orange stripe - this is the 'radio' feed - it's on when the ignition is on, but goes off when the engine is being cranked.

Nick.

Thanks Nick.

I've looked behind the centre controls, which is quite a confusing given that its undergone two previous owner mods and trying to work out whats what is interesting. Northern electricity originally had a PTO engage switch and light. Even though these are wired they are all dead with or without ignition so I am presuming the 2nd owner disconnected this elsewhere when he removed the pto. He then put a split charge in and I can see that he has wired an extra 12V socket and the original cigarette lighter to the leisure battery all of which I have traced. There is a bundle of unused terminated wires neatly insulated aside which I am guessing was the original wiring. I've checked these, and definitely a green one and green/purple one go live on ignition. There is also an orange/white but this is feeding the bulb in the cig lighter (??I guess this may have happened in the second mod).

I'll run it from the green wire which has a steady 12.4V across it. This leads me to another question - presumably there is another voltage regular (an external one) aside from the one within the alternator. I've just put a new alternator on and when running holds a steady 14.8V across the battery, yet the green wires and others are presumably all fed by another voltage regulator maintaining 12V (else why would my green wire be 12V?). If so where is this v regulator?

Ziggy