Exhaust end fell off tail pipe silencer

My exhaust has always been smokey for a couple of seconds on start-up, and recently the smoke has been blowing under the car and visible from the drivers side. I put this down to wind blowing the smoke.

It turns out to be the end of the pipe had started to separate from the tail pipe silencer, and the exhaust is no longer supported until where the tail pipe attaches to the intermediate silencer. I used wire to support the silencer to get back home. I would very much like to keep the repair to a minimum, but will it be best to get a new tail pipe? or am I able to repair the exhaust?

Car is a 110 200tdi.

Many Thanks

Henry

If it has broken due to rust, there is little point in repairing it, though if you can weld it yourself, you may get a few more months out of it (possibly longer). If you have to pay for someone to repair it, it won't be a cost effective repair, and you might as well get a new tailpipe/back box IMHO.

Regards, Diff.

Why not pop in to an exhaust fitter and have a short bit of pipe welded in to replace the rear box? It's completely unnecessary, you'll not notice any more sound and you'll have a few less pounds to carry around.

If you were a bit closer Henry, i have a rear section off of my 110 TD (exhaust is the same, hangers are slightly different, but with a little fiddling will fit) that is no longer needed and was only a year or so old when removed. If you are ever down in south hertfordshire, you can have it in exchange for a few beer tokens!