Are early Range Rover and Disco chassis the same ?

sj_4x4

I have it in my mind that a early RR chassis (1971) is the same as a D1 chassis with the exception of engine and gearbox mounts.

Can anyone confirm/deny please ?

(This is for a offroad only challenge vehicle so not worried about SVA)

200tdi D1 or 300tdi D1?

Certainly my 300 shape D1 chassis is the same as the 1991 onwards RRC chassis. Different G'box X-member and different A-frame mount for a start.

300Tdi, the RR chassis has the cage and replacement rear x-member attached, plan is to cut it all off and then weld to Disco chassis which will (hopefully !) have less rot.

Not worried about out riggers and will use Disco running gear.

Early range rover and the rear shock mounts

near side faces forwards

offside faces rearwards

So your axle casing will need moding, or new holes and sleeves welding in the chassis !

I forgot about the shock mounts, tho I'm going to use the Disco axles so it won't be a problem.

The RRC and Disco of a similar age use the same chassis. The gearboc cross members are interchangeable, the rear SLY cross memember changed late 80s, the metric suspension fits into the same mountings and the steering boxs are interchangeable.

The fuel tanks differ with age, the plastic ones mount differntly. the exhaust hangers changed around the late 80s too and fomr about 91 on there are ARB brackets both ends. The early RRC had as said different shock mounts.

Late RRC had the mounting holes fr the EAS sensors, though only EAS equipend ars had the air tank and valve gear brackets. These are not seen on Disco though I think the sensor holes are.

TDi chassi have differnet engine mounts and the fuel separator/filter mounting differ.

AFAIK all the body mounts, suspension mounts, tow bar, steering etc never changed.

Thanks for all the pointers, looks line nothing a angle grinder and a box of sparks won't fix.

300Tdi Disco donor is now sitting on the drive awaiting it's fate once I get the detritus cleared out of the garage so I can get the project out.