Lack of acceleration on V8 petrol classic RR

soton rrc

Hi, I have a problem with a lack of acceleration on my 1975 RR classic V8 petrol fitted with twin stromberg carbs.

Prior the last weekend all seems well, but using it last w/e going up any sort of hill I needed to change down to a lower gear and have little power. The car starts fine from cold (on choke) and appears to run well on idle and ticks over fine.

I do very little milage per year (about 600 miles), mainly locally. The spark plugs were changed three years ago along with the air filters, and the carb. diaphragms along with new rotor arm, distributor cap and plug leads were changed 18 months ago.

Also, when i start the car from cold using the choke, the engine often only starts with a lack of power until 5 to 10 seconds later when full power kicks in.

Are these problems concected ?

Any help given is gratfully received, ie what should i be checking first.

Also, does anyone have experience of using a good garage in the Southampton area; who are used to dealing with early Range Rover's.

Thanks very much

If you have any leaky vacuum pipes, especially the one to the distributor vacuum advance capsule, or if the capsule itself is faulty, that can lead to significant loss of power due to the ignition timing not being where you need it. This is more obvious the harder you work the engine.

Checks you can do youself - look for a small bore rubber hose running from between the carbs to the distributor. Check that a) it's connected both ends, b) it's not horribly perished. If these are OK, with engine off, disconnect the pipe at the carb end, and suck on the pipe quite hard and try to hold the vacuum by sticking your tongue over the end of the pipe. If no vac is achieved or maintained, you have a faulty vacuum advance capsule.

Strombergs IMHO were never that good re performance, compared with SU's, but you have to start at the absolute basics and work through

Tinming, advance working fully,

plugs GENUINE Leads and cap and Rotor arm,

diaphrams in carbs,

Float bowls and filters

Fuel pump pressure

clean pistons with correct grade and amount of damping oil

etc etc etc

If there is any doubt re the genuine LR Cap Rotor arm and leads start there

Nige