Discovery TD5 Starting Problem

JemFI

Hi Everyone

Hope you guys can help me. A member of my family has a 2001 TD5 Discovery with starting problems. It is hard at starting and there might be an electrial fault with it as in the past it has blown the main fuse under the bonnet for starting. Has anyone else had or heard of this promblem before?

Thanks in advance

Jeremy

Yeah - had this the other week.

Lazy starter motor was the cause. Then it died altogether. I was told by the garage that it is known for the fuel pressure regulator (?) to leak, which is situated over the starter motor, thus causing a problem (although mine was just simply a knackered starter motor.

Can you describe it a bit better? Is the starter motor turning the engine over OK?

If the starter motor is healthy, but he car won't always "catch" and fiore-up, it could be the injector seals (well that happened to me anyway...).

In my instance, the starter was healthy, but I could hear bubbles in the fuel lines (and the fuel pump). If I primed the car several times (pump accelerator pedal as if going through the run-out-of-fuel process), it would cough into life...

Injector seals are cheap:

O rings - ERR7004

Copper washers - ERR6417

bugger to change tho...

The starter motor is turning ok, sounds like it could be the heater plugs. Had it connected to the computer at the garage last night and apart from one fault with number 4 injector which cleared, there doesn't appear to be any other faults.

Can you hear the fuel pump priming? Should hear it from the driver's side wheelarch.

If the fuel pump is OK, and apparently "priming", try pumping the accelerator pedal several times with the ignition on prior to cranking the engine.

Sounds like the Injector seals to me (or the MAF?).