Multifuel TD !

sgnas

I took the 90 to work so I could put it in for the MOT today, it passed.

As an aside, is everyone else getting a pass with a longggggg list of advisories (for very minor stuff) or is it just me? I have to put 4 cars through MOT each year and it happens on all of them.

Anyway, at lunch I went out and got some fuel to do the return home.

When I got back to work and parked up I had the thought "That wasn't the diesel hose I filled up from!"

Bugger.

Luckily I work for a manufacturing company so quickly found 2 25litre drums to decant the mixed fuel into.

Drew around 45litres off, then drove to a different garage to fill up again.

Now, I originally put 45litres into the 53litre tank. Meaning I had 80% or more petrol in the tank. I drove 4 miles and the engine didn't miss a beat or smoke.

I know the fuel filter is quite large so holds a reasonable amount. I think also, that excess fuel from the pump returns to the filter not the tank.

Even so, 4 miles should have used 800ml of fuel. At least double the volume of the filter.

At the very least it must have been running on a 50:50 mix and still going fine!

Now I have 45l of mixed fuel to dilute out between the mower/chainsaw/strimmer/quad/2 landrovers and if I'm feeling brave my daily runner, a Fiat Panda.

Advisories are getting more comon as the test gets stricter. Oil leaks are an advisory, worn U/J's are too - even though they won't fail in themselves. Advisory is a good way for the tester to cover himself in case something fails in the near future.

Your fuel mix - I would expect the engine to smoke and have a noticeable drop in performance. 4-miles would have drawn fuel out of the tank and diesel/petrol mix very well together.

Les.

Your fuel mix - I would expect the engine to smoke and have a noticeable drop in performance.

Pulls like a steam train................................Takes 10 miles to get to 60mph ;)

Your right on the CYA situation, but the advisories are a bit silly.

4 of the advisories are for, paraphrasing, "rusty springs" one each corner.

They're 20+ years old, 3/4" thick, with no obvious sagging.

I think they're doing fine!

Another is for corrosion on a brake line. Same as last year.

It's copper and was only fitted 3 years ago!

I had an advisory for 'rusty underside of vehicle'. I asked what was specifically rusty and the guy said 'everything has loads of rust on it under there mate'. Clearly used to testing euro-boxes less than ten years old that are all galvanised and under-sealed from new! Suffice to say I haven't been back.

Was very please that the re-built 88" got no advisories though, a very good feeling. But that was a 'proper garage', that rarely deals with anything under 40 years old!

I had an advisory for 'rusty underside of vehicle'. I asked what was specifically rusty and the guy said 'everything has loads of rust on it under there mate'.

My latest one for the 90 had an advisory for oil leak. When asked from where, the bloke said don't know they all leak! This from one of those garages working out from farm buildings in the countryside! I'll be looking elsewhere for the next one!