Anyone using a TrueTrac in the front?

M&S

Just looking for any comments regarding the use of the TrueTrac in the front diff?

I'm fed-up with my D2 eating pins in diffs and love the TrueTrac I have fitted in the rear. Does one in the front cause any issues with steering at all?

Thanks, Martin

A friend on mine does in his J**P and it works very well, couldn't tell it was fitted when I drove it on the road and off road works great especially with a little left foot braking to help transfer the power to the wheel with grip.

Brookers

Sounds good, thanks. It was the on-road handling I was mostly concerned about, I wasn't sure if the steering would be heavier or if it would cause any understeer. A lot of what I have read refers to the Detroit Locker, not the TrueTrac.

The D2 has traction control so that means my left foot can relax :D works superbly in the rear.

Thanks for the reply, Martin

"They seem to be invisible on the road as well"

Just what I wanted to hear, cheers.

As I say, I have one in the rear and it performs superbly. Does give a bit of oversteer on very slippery ground if you are heavy with the right foot, but never an issue on tarmac.

IIRC you can choose how much bias the truetrac has, perhaps the lower bias would be best, but they are designed to go in front axles and behave seamlesly or invisibly if you prefer.

If I had the cash I'd be tempted to put one in the back of my RRC as it only has TC on the rear.

I've known many people who have had them and loved them, but alas I've only ever tried the Detroit before going to ARBs, I can't get on with a Detroit.

Martin,

Now that I have a few miles since installing my 2 truetrac's I can say that I'm very pleased with them. At the same time I also installed a pair in my friends 2004 Defender 90. Confirming what was said earlier, with TC the truetracs are great, David is supper pleased with them in his 90. I on the other hand with my Series Hybrid, need to rid the brakes a bit to get the same effect.

The only negative I can say with the truetrac in the front is if I'm too spirited with the gas pedal I can get torque steer, I noted this most this winter when I was driving around town in 4WD. But with that said, I'm happy with the new diff's and simply take it easier according to the road conditions when in 4WD.

Todd.

Hi yes all the diff centers can be built up into a diff, with different ratios if required, or supplied as a bare unit. See the 'more' info table to the right of the diff picture for costs or phone for help. Ian Ashcroft

Ian,

I am seriously consider your new ATB (front and rear) for my Disco 2 TD5. These are my doubts, compared to the Truetrac :

- Are they depend on a specific oil into diffs ?

- Truetrac are 70% on the rear and 30% on the front, if i am not wrong. What are de ratios of the new ATB ?

- The diference of price is big. Same quality for the two products ?

- The objective is to gain traction on mud, snow and sand dunes, basically. I am on the right way trying this kind of differentials ?

- What about Quaife ?

Best regards,

Joan

Hi thanks for your question

No the ATB diffs are not oil specific, whatever you use in the diff now is OK

I think you have some mis-understanding regarding the front/rear truetrac. The ATB (inc Truetrac) only operate on their own axle and do not in any way affect the front/rear torque bias, in your case this is fixed by the geometry of the center diff at 50/50 front/rear. There are different ways to set up an ATB, one of the factors is the pre-load on the bias gears. Truetrac set the front diff up with less preload than the rear, Quaife and ouselves set the front and rear the same. The slight difference between front/rear on the Truetrac is very soon lost as the gears begin to wear and release the preload, you will note people talk about left foot braking to preload the ATB, this is only necessary after the preload has been lost, any car with ATC will benefit from the ATB as brake effect on the spinning wheel is enhanced by the ATB.

We believe the quality of our product is at least equal to the Truetrac hence our no quible warranty

Yes I believe this is the right approach for the terrain you describe.

Quaife is an excellent product and carries a 'lifetime warranty' superb engineering but a little on the pricy side, if you intend keeping the vehicle for some time well worth considering the extra cost.

Hope this helps Regards Ian Ashcroft

(in case you wonder why I do not write under ashtrans it is to prevent cross coms with Davisd as I am living in Spain)

Ian,

I am seriously consider your new ATB (front and rear) for my Disco 2 TD5. These are my doubts, compared to the Truetrac :

- Are they depend on a specific oil into diffs ?

- Truetrac are 70% on the rear and 30% on the front, if i am not wrong. What are de ratios of the new ATB ?

- The diference of price is big. Same quality for the two products ?

- The objective is to gain traction on mud, snow and sand dunes, basically. I am on the right way trying this kind of differentials ?

- What about Quaife ?

Best regards,

Joan

Thank you very much, Ian.

I will place a order as soon as I have decided which model I prefer.

Here in Spain, a friend is testing your new air lockable diff on a Defender, with very good impressions :-)

Best regards,

Joan

Joan,

When I installed my two Truetrac's the installation pamphlets that came with them stated as Ian wrote above about the type of oil to use "diffs are not oil specific, whatever you use in the diff now is OK"

BUT

I did a bit more digging and found on Eaton homepage, that they have another opinion for the type of oil to use with your truetrac: "A quality petroleum/mineral based oil works best in the Truetrac units. We do not recommend synthetic oil."

Apparently the Americans have been having issues with Trutrac's and synthetic oils (This is what I've seen on the various Jeep forums) but I wonder did this lead to the above statement on Eaton's page? You can read more here: http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/FAQ/index.htm

Todd.

I take it fitting a diff built into its housing is simple, the BoL says nothing about it at all and the workshop manual is extremely brief "Remove axle shafts then differential assembly from axle."

So it it as simple as that just bolt the new one back on with a new gasket?

Niamh