300 Defender Auto Conversion

disco_al

Here's a question, the project defender me and a friend are building was originally going to be manual, but due to a change in his circumstances, it is now going to be an auto.

So, the question - what parts do we need to source to bolt an auto box to a 300 tdi?

we have;

Disco 300 tdi engine

Disco 300 tdi autobox/transfer box

Engine backplate

soooo, what else am i going to have to order?

cheers

The flywheel with ring gear is replaced in the auto by the flex plate which the torque converter then bolts to . Be carefull when putting torque converter into box that you have lined up and fully home before trying to bolt box to engine. then yopu bolt flexplate to TC .

Hi please be careful when installing the TC. Stand the auto box upright, with two bolts in the TC feet lower the converter into the auto rotating as you go, you should feel 3 distinct steps, if in doubt check our web site for installation height. The reason you CANNOT install the TC in a horizontal position is that the 'stator' plate in the converter 'floats' so when horizontal it drops down out of position and the splines cannot be started. If it is not fully home it will break the pump tangs and result in complete removal to replace the pump. Regards Ian Ashcroft

Hi please be careful when installing the TC. Stand the auto box upright, with two bolts in the TC feet lower the converter into the auto rotating as you go, you should feel 3 distinct steps, if in doubt check our web site for installation height. The reason you CANNOT install the TC in a horizontal position is that the 'stator' plate in the converter 'floats' so when horizontal it drops down out of position and the splines cannot be started. If it is not fully home it will break the pump tangs and result in complete removal to replace the pump. Regards Ian Ashcroft

your website was my first port of call for information :D i've already printed the fitting instructions for the TC and autobox, and have read of the pitfalls of failed oil pumps due to incorrect TC fitting - thanks anyway for the tip, always appreciated

The reason you CANNOT install the TC in a horizontal position is that the 'stator' plate in the converter 'floats' so when horizontal it drops down out of position and the splines cannot be started.

Ian,

Is this the same box as the RRC one(albeit minor changes)?

Not wishing to contradict you of course, but I managed to install my torque converter to the gearbox with it still in the truck, just too a small amount of wiggling to get it to sit home fully.

Agree strongly on the three distinct steps to get it installed, I did it three times to make sure, and measure the bellhousing to flex plate mounting surfaces about a dozen times :)

Hi Bowie, yes the basic construction is the same ie has a floating stator plate, how you managed it is a tribute to your patience, I never have!!. So I guess in future I should say 'it is extreemly difficult to align the TC in a horizontal position'. Regards Ian