P38 alloys on a RC

A mate has offered me the wheels from his P38, they are hurricane alloys with 4 good tyres and the money if right. He sold the car with aftermarket 20" alloys and now he doesn't have a caravan won't be buying another so has decided to let them go.

Well I only do RRC but I had fancied fitting lower profiles to the LSE, well toyed with the idea at least.

So, any opinions? I'll need adapters obviously but the rims are a good price. I have EAS so will I rip the arches off when it settles (it takes about a week). Will it look naff? will it induce steering kickback?, those sort of things.

As far as the rims are concerned, you shouldn't have any trouble. P38a rims have an offset of 56mm, compared to 33mm for Classic rims, which means with a 25mm spacer it will be just about right. They are 8" wide compared to 7", but that's not a problem either.

Standard tyres for the hurricanes are 255/55R18, same diameter as the 235/70R16 that I think was optional on the later RRC.

As they are wider, you could lose some steering lock, but it wont be dramatic. There should be plenty of room in the wheelarches for the wider tyres, even if the EAS lowers. Just don't take it offroad before it's regained height. ;)

Greetz,

Filip

If you do get round to fitting these then I demand photos!

I'm looking at ways to fit lower profile tyres to mine when I get to that stage :)

I have seen it done before but I've searched google high and low and can't find any :/

That colour is bad. The rest of it looks ok (not convinced by the grilles). If that's how far out the wheels would come with adapters (yes that's what I meant) then I will have a problem, the rear wheels sit just inside the rear arches in access.

I need to borrow/aquire a set of adapters to try it :unsure:

Thanks for all the help guys :D

Indeed, I should have written 'adapters' instead of 'spacers'. :ph34r:

I wouldn't use the above pictures as a reference, you don't know the width of the adaptors used nor the tyre size. I'd start by verifying the minimum width of adapters you can find. I know the ones Rakeway does are 70mm (each side!) and reuse the RRC alu wheel nuts, but there also slimmer versions (25-30mm?) available, fitted with steel wheel nuts. Those should work as the offset of the P38a wheels will compensate.

Do keep us posted! ;)

i fitted the hub adptors and 18 inch p38a rims to my classic about 4 years ago again the problem with the eas is if it fails bye bye archs! also it had a stupid wide track and tramlined in truck lanes not nice at speed i fitted 18" rims with original stud patterns much better i know run 255/55R18 tyres and it handels like a go kart with all the other suspension mods i have done picture on my web site

• 2 weeks later...

Compomotive XS Alloys, haven't seen them for sale anywhere recently but the magazines used to have one or two advertisers selling them.

Voguese39, Was it a private sale in Derby or from a shop?