V8 conversion

Hi guys,

I've got a 90 td that is need of a new engine. Has anyone converted this to a v8? What engine/gearbox did you use? Where there many difficulties? I only use it for playing in, and love the noise a v8 makes!

Any experience would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Robin

Try using search, topic has been done many times, and in a number of different ways :D

What age is the 90, and what engine does it have now?

Rover v8 is best for ease of fitment and insurance, but not best if you want massive power figures.

Here's how I replaced the 2.25 petrol in my 90 with a 3.5 Rover lump.

Here's what I did.

In terms of fitment and gearbox etc it should be the same for you (I think). I fitted a longnose LT77 box from a Range Rover, which has a mahoosive bellhousing. This puts the whole lot in the same position that a factory v8 would be.

Alternatively you can get a conversion ring which will allow you to bolt a rover v8 to the 4-cylinder gearbox, but I believe that this involves chopping footwells as the engine sits right back against the bulkhead and doesn't fit between them.

However you will have Diesel stuff to sort out too- a bit of wiring to change and fuel system changes (no idea on how diesel's are plumbed).

Luckliy for me, mine always ran on the fuel of Gods and so I didn't have so much to do there :D