Bmw 2.5 diesel

dirtydiesel

Looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has retrofitted one of these into anything.

Specifically i'd like to know what parts i need to convert the pump from edc to conventional, can i just swap the top of the pump to a conventional tdi type pump.

Or do i need a complete new pump? Off what?

Also i've heard that the 3 litre can be fitted using all the 2.5 ancillaries, anyone know any different?

i believe the earlier bmw and vauxhall omega 2.5 diesels had the manual mechanical injection pump and it can be swapped over in place of the computer controlled one. Then it can be tuned like a conventional tdi for more power.

if you google it there are quite a few topics out there about people retrofitting the mechanical pump to replace faulty (read ££££) electrical pumps in both these cars. Should give you pointers on what you need to do. Might actually just be easier to find an old rusty omega and pinch the engine from that rather than faff about converting.

Have you tried a BMW forum? from the very little I know about BMWs some of the things you have asked are possible.

I've posted on a few of them, the engine is not very popular for conversions so there's little tech to be had.

Why not keep the computer and benefit from having it chipped.... 170hp/350nm, not to mention the petrol-engine kind of throttle response and the willingness to easily pull to 5k rpm :blink: is quite a lot of fun (mine is in a E30 ;) )

I'd like to stay as far away from ecu's as possible, i've had too many problems with bmw ecu's and immobilisation in the past and the lack of tech and wiring diagrams for the m51 puts me off using the stock ecu.

i believe the earlier bmw and vauxhall omega 2.5 diesels had the manual mechanical injection pump and it can be swapped over in place of the computer controlled one.

I thought this as well but all the omega's i can find are on edc pumps.

Not sure how helpful this is but;

BMW 2.5 TD and TDS are different fuel systems

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/BMW_3+Series_325_2.5_1994/p/car-parts/engine-parts/fuel-and-engine-management/fuel-pump/?441110110&1&ca4fbe4acaf3e6aff65cd93d26379de8450c88b3&FPUM

http://www.eurocarparts.com/search/430110300/p/car-parts

i think the early system, 115bhp used a VDO pump and the later more powerful had a Bosch pump which was gold/titanium/unobtainium plated and cost a fortune.

Not sure how helpful this is but;

BMW 2.5 TD and TDS are different fuel systems

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/BMW_3+Series_325_2.5_1994/p/car-parts/engine-parts/fuel-and-engine-management/fuel-pump/?441110110&1&ca4fbe4acaf3e6aff65cd93d26379de8450c88b3&FPUM

http://www.eurocarparts.com/search/430110300/p/car-parts

i think the early system, 115bhp used a VDO pump and the later more powerful had a Bosch pump which was gold/titanium/unobtainium plated and cost a fortune.

The difference is that the tds is intercooled.

Your first link is to the in tank lift pump, the second is the edc injection pump, that i'd like to convert to non edc.

I see, is this not going to cause timing/fuel problems by removing the edc system ?

This is what i'm seeking advise on,

On a 300 tdi removing edc is just a mater of swaping the fip to a non edc one fitting a throttle cable and binning a few sensors.

I'm hoping the same is true of the bmw 2.5

This is what i'm seeking advise on,

On a 300 tdi removing edc is just a mater of swaping the fip to a non edc one fitting a throttle cable and binning a few sensors.

I'm hoping the same is true of the bmw 2.5

I know nothing of the M51 engine but have done loads with BMW petrol engines and an M50B52 conversion on an E30. I have found the ECUs to be pretty bullet proof and have taken a fair few knocks and electrical shorts due to "un-educated guesses" with wiring.

What I have found with conversions is that when I throw in too many things in the mix they never go to plan and it gets complicated! It might be worth getting the conversion up and running first and then looking at upgrades to fuel system?

diesel tuning fascinates me!