insurance frustrations

scabbydisco

took out policy with RAC. Added missus. told guy don't get paid till 13th, please take money out till after this date.

got letter from bank on 12th the day before the 13th stating RAC tried to take money out. bank refused, as no money in account. RAC sends letter, we're charging you extra 25 quid for returned payment request, and we'll cancel your insurance if it happens again. Hey-how about I cancel the insurance you incompetent jerks.. spoke with girl from RAC-got absolutely nowhere. rude, unhelpful. spoke with someone else today-team leader will call back sometime, but don't know when as it's a holiday. Very very poor customer service. very disappointing. I'm a member of the RAC, but think I'll cancel when the fees are due this year. very disappointed. Is there so little competition that they can treat people like carp? best insurance company for discos anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't get insured with Frank, not modified enough :huh:

Anyway, bin the RAC cover, it's not as good as green flag and if you join the caravan club you get to join their Mayday rescue. The cost of cover is cheap so you get the CC membership sort of free.

Put this way, all singing all dancing cover as £119 for 2 lots of personal cover, alternative car etc.

UNLIKE any other breakdwon they will attend if my trailer breaks down and will recover a trailer with over 19foot shipping length (towball to lights)

BONUS, it's out and back cover, if I break down going on holiday they take me on holiday and if the car can't be fixed in time they bring me home again as part fo the same call. If they bring me home at midnight they will come back the next day to tow me to a garage.

Double bonus, ring up and say the head gasket has gone on a RRC auto and they send out a recovery truck for a RRC auto, not a noddy car just to check I know what I'm talking about. With Green flag I'd be on my way home before RAC can agree I have broken down and order the correct truck.

the downside with ALL of them is that my dogs are classed as livestock, the very same RAC/AA/Green flag that go on about dogs dying on hot cars expected them to stay unattended in the car for 6 hours last summer. Apparenlty it's for health and safety "in case they crash"

Don't crash I said, it works for me! and if they are planning on having an accident, shouldn't you provide enough seatbelts for me to secure 2 childseats safely?

Hence I upgraded to all-in cover for an extra £28 this year. On a positive note, when the LSe broke down, the fuel I saved driving it home with the 'van on more than payed for a hire car ;)

Andy there are very few breakdown operators that will allow you to have the dogs in the cab. It's not because they are livestock at all you can blame this claim culture that we live in. It's all about the next person we pick up that is allergic to dogs and then claims against us.

UNLIKE any other breakdwon they will attend if my trailer breaks down and will recover a trailer with over 19foot shipping length (towball to lights)

Not quite. Britannia Rescue will. And at slightly over £110 for 2 drivers fully covered in any car, plus full EU cover for one nominated vehicle, it knocks spots off Mayday and Red Pennant for value. Accepted they don't have the bells & whistles but I'm happy just covering the basics.

I do everything through Sure-term now. You actually deal with people who genuinely seem to know what they are talking about and care about customer service. They were even cheaper on the wife's convertible . Highly recommended. I don't even mind paying a bit more if you don't have to deal with the dreaded call centres !!!!

Jules