Rear door stay - better than factory

James NZ

Hiya everyone

I have on the odd occasion, when the landy is leaning over, been whacked by the rear door trying to close with me in the way!! I'm thinking some kind of rod stay into a hole of sorts is the way to go, but am wondering if any one else has a better plan. Or even better still, a picture!

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Cheers, James NZ

I feel your pain...

It is a heavy lump. If you remove the spare wheel and carrier suddenly it opens easily, doesn't swing shut, and closes easily. I had mine off for ages and it was MUCH better. Needed the space in the back again though so had to put the spare back on the rear door :(

I use mine constantly through the day (always getting stuff in and out when working) and our drive is also on a steep slope. I suspect the spare will be coming off again in the future, just need somewhere to keep it.

Oh, and also be careful opening the door on a side slope, if you let it swing open it will bend the hinge. Ask me how I know <_<

Sorry I don't have a design for a door stay, will have to have a lookk and see what I can come up with.

The older 110s (ours was a 1986 UK spec 110 CSW) had a rear door stay with a latch on it, you had to press a lever to release it so you could shut the door.

Most of the time it was more annoying than the normal type, when you didn't need the latch, but sometimes it was useful. May be worth a look. I'm not sure how it fitted to the door / whether it would be an easy swap for the newer type.

hi,

Was thinking about same thing the other day. We have three kids and one big door!

The Pajero setup i seem to remember was far superior with the slider bar having a slot in it 90* to slider. When at the end of the travel with sharp pull towards you, it would lock the pin in. Unlike the a poor spring action holding the pin on a ridge like that of the disco.

Let me know what you come up with.

Cheers.