engine bay fuel pipes

hi folks,

my 300tdi currently runs on a mix of veg oil and dinodiesel, using an electric heating system from fattywagons (http://www.fattywagons.com/fwproducts.htm). Basically all it is is a resistor wire fully insulated that is wrapped/taped to the metal pipes from the IP to the injectors. Idea is that it heats the metal pipes up and therefore heats the veg oil inside the pipes before it gets squirted into the cylinders. Seems to work well, as the flow rate of fuel in those pipes is quite low and it gets a good chance to heat up before being injected. having cracked off a pipe to an injector, i can confirm that the fuel is quite hot!

however, as much as this seems to work well - it doesnt really solve the issue of cold veg oil trying to be forced through the fuel filter and injection pump. What i was thinking of doing was relocating this heating wire to the fuel pipe that goes into the fuel filter and also along the pipe from the fuel filter to the injection pump. Both appear to be a sort of hard shiny plastic stuff and i have no idea what sort of heat these pipes can cope with before they go soft and melt. Anyone got any ideas on the specs for these pipes?

other alternative is to use very thin ally sheet and bend it round the fuel filter and wrap / insulate the heater wire round that to make a heated fuel filter. But again i have no idea what heat the fuel filter will cope with before the glues start to melt.

any help would be appreciated,

Nick

Nick,

Just a thought, the web site says they heat the lines to over 200f in a couple of mins, you could try putting some fuel line in a pan of boiling water for a while and see what happens to it (200f is 93C). But getting the specs would be better.

They also show a filter heater on the site, a bit further down the page which looks to be made out of the same wire..... that would suggest your filter wrapping would be fine ..... but just because it looks the same doesn't mean it is, with resistance wire a long length of wire would not get as hot as a short length of the same wire with the same voltage. Have you tried dropping an email to the company?

Nick,

Just a thought, the web site says they heat the lines to over 200f in a couple of mins, you could try putting some fuel line in a pan of boiling water for a while and see what happens to it (200f is 93C). But getting the specs would be better.

They also show a filter heater on the site, a bit further down the page which looks to be made out of the same wire..... that would suggest your filter wrapping would be fine ..... but just because it looks the same doesn't mean it is, with resistance wire a long length of wire would not get as hot as a short length of the same wire with the same voltage. Have you tried dropping an email to the company?

Don't some peugeot fuel filters have heater/coolant pipes built in?

problem with those is they do nothing until your engine has warmed up. Once the engine is warm, the injection pump and injector pipes are already hot and preheat the oil to a certain extent as it passes through. So although one would be nice, i still want something to warm the fuel up from engine start. I might invest in a second heater from fatty wagons and have both, have to see....