Front axel conversion

Haulie

How much work is it to change the series 3 front axel for a later disc brake model as I will be towing with my 200 tdi series 3, is it worth all the work? I know there are conversion kits but the price is putting me off these.

Thanks

Haulie

is it worth all the work?

Honestly, No :)

They aren't any stronger than the stock axles, so what's the point?

A lot of Series vehicles towed huge loads on standard axles with no bother I am sure :ph34r:

Unless you're either doing a lot of mountain driving, or taking the vehicle off road, there's really nothing wrong with the standard drums. Especially the later twin-leading-shoe front setup, mine stops bloody well!

If you want to go for discs you can either buy the conversion kit, the easiest option, or change the axles. But as Bowie above says if you're going to do that you may as well put some stronger axles underneath it for all the hassle it will be.

I'm doing it because I want the wider track without offset rims or spacers, thus widening the track whilst lightening the steering compared to what I currently have with offset wheels, to get rid of the steering wheel kick when in 4wd (CV joints), to have greater steering lock and to have discs all around. I should also see some comfort and economy benefits from the 3.54 diffs.

The rear axle is simple - just fit the Series brackets to the Defender rear axle. The front axle is much harder because of the track rod/spring clearance issue and the inclined diff housing requiring a complex shaped U bolt for the inner right hand spring attachment. That's where I have got up to, but funds and other priorities have suspended the project for now.