Opinions on inverter welders please

Ruuman

I've decided I'm going to spend some money on a decent inverter welder, it will mainly used for stick welding but ability to TIG would be nice as I'd like to have a play with that. It must be able to do at least 140amps and run from a regular household socket. My budget is around the 400 mark, could stretch to 500 if really good.

At the moment the one I like the look of is the Lincoln electric Invertec 150S http://www.lincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.aspx?p=112615

But the inverter fusion models seem good too.

Any thoughts or recommends?

Cheers

Ruu

i run migatronic, have done for years and have the cost of a new puma invested in there kit :(

i have a delta 160 surplus to requirements http://www.migatronic.com/media/leafletsuk/52173037.pdf

and a PI 200 http://www.migatronic.com/default.aspx?m=2&i=171

quality machine with pulse, digital read out etc.

there all about the same TBH,but spec, duty cycle, costs and back up all play a part

Ive had two £4000+ lincoln inverters fail weeks after the waranty was out so im allergic to them,but I would recommend the cebora bi welder inverter.

Beware of re badged chinese junk ,thermodyne are prone to re badging as well as others.

I like the look of the migatronics, not seen them before.

Longlandy, I've read a few people saying Lincoln's fail after warranty period is up. Just assumed it was the usual internet rummer mill. What equipment of theirs I have used has been great. I may knock that off the list.

What does surprise me looking into all this is how many UK manufactures there are, quite nice really, we actually make something useful!! :) Don't worry I won't be buying any Chinese copies, I'm sure many of them are fine, but this will be purchased to last a very long time, so I want reliability and parts backup. The cerbora is just out of my price bracket :(

Kemppi has a very nice inverter, 220V, and this site I've had quite good experience with.

As a Tig- machine it's a possibility but I'm not quite good tig-welder, and this is scratch-tig only.

It also can't weld aluminium because it is a direct current inverter only but very compact and light to take it with you.

The Kemppi 150A 220 inverter is within your range, has the possibility of scratch-TIG but can't weld aluminium.

small, lightweight and easy to use!

why would you want a scrtch start Tig set....it's 2011 man!

HF all the way, along with digital read out and a decent duty cycle.

@ Inaine: It's a basic rodwelder, but it has the possibility of scratch TIG, the're no knobs to fiddle with, just on / off, amps and rod / TIG switch. gas is hand adjusted.

If Ruuman would like to experiment with TIG, the torch, gastank and PRV have to be bought separate.

It's mainly for pushing rods, but it does that very well up to 3,25 mm and 8mm steel.

This inverter takes max. 16A, delivers 150A, it plugs in a socket, and all trade has it's price, this man's budget is limited and I try to suggest a solution.

Kemppi has a great reputation, I use those inverters for 20 years with full satisfaction.

They weld like a dream, and if mine ever breaks down, I'll buy myself a new one!

Thanks for the opinions guys, after more research I realise setting my budget to 600-700ish, gets me a much more featured machine. Also after a long hard think maybe I should spec up a TIG machine. The main thing I'd want to try and TIG is aluminium so a basic model won't be much use. Also I imagine a good inverter TIG should be just as good at MMA welding as a dedicated MMA inverter.

The http://www.weldequip.com/inverter-fusion-tig.htm IFL 200PHF seems very well featured

But I'll give Gary a ring next week for his opinions

I can't make up if the Tig set you mention is AC-DC or DC only, in that case it's impossible to weld aluminium with it.

The price is nice though

Edit: something went wrong here, it has been posted 3 times

I haven't seen a decent AC/DC TIG-inverter under 3000,- yet so that's also out of my reach..

(and I wouldn't trust Chinese import, that stuff is meant to be sold, not to be used)

@ Inaine: It's a basic rodwelder, but it has the possibility of scratch TIG, the're no knobs to fiddle with, just on / off, amps and rod / TIG switch. gas is hand adjusted.

If Ruuman would like to experiment with TIG, the torch, gastank and PRV have to be bought separate.

It's mainly for pushing rods, but it does that very well up to 3,25 mm and 8mm steel.

This inverter takes max. 16A, delivers 150A, it plugs in a socket, and all trade has it's price, this man's budget is limited and I try to suggest a solution.

Kemppi has a great reputation, I use those inverters for 20 years with full satisfaction.

They weld like a dream, and if mine ever breaks down, I'll buy myself a new one!

fair enough, i was only really quoting my delta tbh.

I'll stick it up for sale and see if theres any takers.

As for ACDC Tig sets they are $$$$

we got a 200 amp PI 200 watercooled migatronic here RRP £4700+VAT :huh:

nothing wrong with a chinese set IMO for every now and again if you buy it from a local source that will guarentee / warrenty it for 12 months

If you want to do alloy why not get a good s/h transformer set ,I have 2 both 40+yrs old and will out live me.

If you want a inverter give r tech a try, good rep and they have repaired a cebora and a lincoln of mine that the factory agents said were dead and done so they know their stuff

Will second Longlandy's rec for r-tech, have had one of their ac/dc 201 sets for 2 years and it has been excellent, was welding a set of 2stroke cases last night and wondered how I had got along without having the ability to tig ali!

Another vote for R-Tech. R-Tech welding

They import from china but back up with proper (and yes, I mean proper) after sales service.

I have to say the service I received from them was excellent, and they did me a deal as I got all the consumables at the same time.

The machine itself is excellent too - I can't really fault anything with it. It feels solid and well made, the torch is perhaps a little cheap, but definitely solid enough.

just been down this route myself,i ended up buying an mta 201,which isn,t inverter based but old fashioned transformer type,why you ask,well they are built in york by technical arc,mine is 200 amp ac/dc,so will do all we require of it,the reason i didn,t go inverter is long term ownership,4 years down the line there are no circuit boards to go wrong,just a transformer and diodes/thyristors,they even include a circuit diagram in the manual,down side,it is huge and weighs 70 kg so not exactly portable.i have an oxford 200 amp mig made by the same people and i,me well pleased with that.