Wolf Air Filters

Sirocco

Just a quick one, sorry if it has been covered before.

Im looking to upgrade my 300tdi Defender with the wolf twin element air filter for extensive overland use. The crux of it is now: can you wash out the filter elements? or do they have to be replaced like regular ones? If they have to be replaced I may stick with what Ive got.

cheers :D

G

I would suggest they arnt going to take a washing out, they are not like the re usable ones, like sy K&N, they are intended to keep the fine dust and sand of Iraq and Afghan out of the turbo.

My wolf 110 came back from Iraq smashed, having been out there before the filters and snorkels were fitted, and the turbo is b$ll*xed at 45,000 miles...... All the air intake pipes, infact even the wire loom, is packed full of dust.

I would suggest they arnt going to take a washing out, they are not like the re usable ones, like sy K&N, they are intended to keep the fine dust and sand of Iraq and Afghan out of the turbo.

My wolf 110 came back from Iraq smashed, having been out there before the filters and snorkels were fitted, and the turbo is b$ll*xed at 45,000 miles...... All the air intake pipes, infact even the wire loom, is packed full of dust.

Thanks for this pinkie.

I only ask because the Land Cruiser we used recently in West Africa allowed this and it was great to just wash out the dust etc. I meant that you dont really have to carry a spare.

We will be taking on central asia, mongolia, siberia and then aus in 18months time, so I was thinking of fitting one of these.

G

The filters are not washable. THey are a service item. The inner filter is only fitted to vehicles in hot sandy places. Those that get repatriated to a temperate theatre, the inner filter is normally removed at the next service. There is no need to run the inner where there is no chance of excessive dirt/fine dust.

HTH

Hi Dave,

I realise that the inner is only fitted for excessively sandy/dusty places. I was just hoping to be able to wash them. If im replacing every 6000 miles, I may stick with the original set-up and put a pre-filter on the snorkel. not really sure what is best.

G

I think if you put water anywhere near the filter it will fall apart. Unless you have a big stock of these filters and are prepared to throw them on a regular basis I would stick with what you have. IIRC the Wolf filter housing mounts completely differently ( I may be wrong) and it doesn't use a standard size filter. There was a thread back along of the problems people had getting the filters. That issue may have been resolved by now though. A bit of a search may reveal all you need to know

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...