Annoying squeak when driving, need help!

DrT

My Disco 300Tdi Auto has developed a loud squeak. The problem is it only does it while driving and not when its stopped. It is definetly engine related because I can vary the pitch of the squeak by varying the engine revs.

I tried the penny trick in case it was the tensioner pully, I've even replaced the bearing in that pully but no difference. I've just replaced the water pump since I could hear a slight rumble from it at tickover with the bonnet up but still the squeak persists.

If I rev the engine with the bonnet up I hear no squeak. As soon as I drive a few hundred yards down the road the squeak starts. If I stop, the squeak stops. Its driving me mad. I'm asuming its a bearing somewhere so does anyone have an idea which one it might be?

No, checked that. Had it down my local garage this afternoon and they are stumped too! What I need is a volunteer I can strap under the bonnet and then drive it up the road!! :lol:

Don't think so Kev because it does it if you are going straight or turning a corner, makes no difference. I would have thought it would vary if the power steering needed bleeding.

Here's a question, if I temporarily removed the belt that goes around the alternator, water pump etc would I do any harm if I started the engine and drove it for a couple of hundred yards or so with the engine cold to cut down on the chance of overheating? This would at least prove if it was a pulley or something related to that belt.

Mine was making an awful squeaking noise last year when driving but nothing when stationary. Wheel bearings checked and replaced but it was still there, I ended up underneath rotating the prop by hand and the donut that looked fine otherwise started showing me some lovely big cracks in the rubber.