V8 Series 2 - Fuel Pump & Filter

Rightfoot

I've got to replace the fuel tank as its starting to weep on the seams.

Currently the fuel pump is mounted on the outrigger for the fuel tank, the good point is that its low down, but it strikes me that its a bit exposed, even though the bulkhead outrigger gives it some protection. As per the photo:

post-7178-0-51478900-1306773882_thumb.jpg

I was wondering whether it was sensible to relocate to the inside of the seat box where it is more protected, but then it is higher up. Is this a good or bad idea?.

Also there is no filter anywhere in the system as far as I can see, do I need one? If so before or after the pump (my instinct says before), and any recommendations as to type? Its an ex range Rover 3.5 on carbs.

In tank pump will be furthest out of the way but requires an SD1 sender/pump bracket or another hole cutting in the top of tank.

So without doing that I'd be looking for somewhere a little bit more protected like mounting it on the inside of the chassis rail or you could just put a cover over the existing pump as a gaurd. Keeping the existing pump will want it kept low to help it gravity feed as I've got a feeling most pumps don't really like having to lift fuel up to height but will all easily push it along lines.

On my Stage 1 (3.5 V8, etc.) I have two tanks, one in the rear and one up front under the drivers seat. There are two pumps, one for the side tank is mounted on the inside of the chassis rail just behind the rear most portion of the tank itself. The other, for the rear tank, is mounted immediately behind the side tank on the chassis rail. The two pumps are therefore directly opposite each other on the same chassis rail.

So, umm. Take your pick, inside or outside. Both work as well. But yes, they are mounted behind the tank and not in front of it. Admittedly the one on the outside of the rail comes in for a lot flack from the rear tyre.

Alan

LWB or SWB?

My SWB pump is mounted as follows;

DSC00200.JPG

Sorry for the massive image size, also ignore the EFi Pump mounted in-tank, that was done when I was building the Series 3 to aid transition to the EFi later on :)

My Facet is mounted under the seat and the tank is in the back (109), it is happy drawing fuel.

There is a filter in the end of the facet but it's more to filter out medium sized rocks and trees and small animals than anything meaningful, I'd splash £2.50 and stick an extra filter after the pump.