Kenlowe wiring

Hi All,

Firstly I have searched but just need some help.

I am at the late reassembly stage of my 90 rebuild I decided to replace the viscous fan at this point and need some advice on a suitable live feed for the my Kenlowe fan as I bought it second hand and it didn’t have any instructions and was wondering what gauge and capacity wire would I need. The thermostatic switch didn’t work so I have replaced it with an X-fan as that seems to be the advice often given on this forum.

I initially thought of taking up a live from the starter motor feed from the ignition to power the relay.

I know the Kenlowe question has been asked many times but mostly about the fitting.

Any advice or tips welcome.

Cheers

James

They draw 25amps on start. At least mine does. Less when running. 3mm cable will do it. 2mm at a push depending on cores.

Took a feed directly from the battery box off a fuse box i fitted in there. I put the x-fan high low switch on the front of the battery box. Relay attached to top on passenger side wheel arch. Easy to fit using the X-Fan diagram. You can get the parts for the X-Fan a lot cheaper if bought separately though and operation is the same. (i did buy an X-Fan for ease)

oh i cut the bottom pipe to fit the aluminum housing which leaked a bit at first. I wrapped the temp switch is self amalgamating tape as the wires looked a bit exposed.

They draw 25amps on start. At least mine does. Less when running. 3mm cable will do it. 2mm at a push depending on cores.

Took a feed directly from the battery box off a fuse box i fitted in there. I put the x-fan high low switch on the front of the battery box. Relay attached to top on passenger side wheel arch. Easy to fit using the X-Fan diagram. You can get the parts for the X-Fan a lot cheaper if bought separately though and operation is the same. (i did buy an X-Fan for ease)

oh i cut the bottom pipe to fit the aluminum housing which leaked a bit at first. I wrapped the temp switch is self amalgamating tape as the wires looked a bit exposed.

Thanks for the info.

Fitted today just got to plumb n wire it in now

Cheers

James

• 8 months later...

OK guys, silly question - just got my kenlowe fan and an x-eng fan switch. How on earth do I put it all together - electrically that is. I have the kenlowe wiring stuff but can't see how you connect up the x-eng to it - (seems I would need to cut the sensor off or some such?) Do I need to get some new relays etc for it?

three wires to the fan, one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kenlowe-Motorsport-External-Thermostat-Adjustable-Wiring-Duel-Stage-/200709252192?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ebb342460

I think it may be best to sell that bit and throw two relays in and just stick them in a sealed plastic box. What did you do in the end? I have two control wires and a power line going down at the moment.

With that controller I believe that the probe is a termocouple and you don't need / cannot use that controller if you are using an x-fan switch.

My setup is a bit complicated as it is a twin fan setup with and override switch and fan on lights.

I assume you are only using a single fan and don't want an override switch or wading cutoff switch and you want to use the boost function (one hitting the first temperature the fan will come on normal speed, if that is not enough then it goes to high speed if it reaches the second temperature) ?

The way I would do it would be:-

Power from battery via a 40A midi fuse (I find blade fuses get a bit hot when carrying high current, so I increase the fuse size) using 4.5mm^2 (42A) wire to 2 40A relays

Then a link wire from each relay main power to one of the coil contact (as this is going to be earth switched)

Then 2 wires from the other coil input of the relays to the 2 output connects on the x-fan ( you need to get the low output of the x-fan switch matched to the relay with the Grey wire)

The grey fan wire to one relay and the brown to the other.

From the common x-fan switch to earth.

Black from fan to Earth

I knocked up a diagram below.

post-1948-0-57799000-1330115395_thumb.png