Fuel Starvation

Dear All,

I have a 2.5 N/A diesel engine in my Series 3. It is suffering from what I would describe as fuel starvation. Starts OK and will run for about half a mile then loses "power" and is very rough on idle. If I switch off and restart it runs fine for a few moments and then goes "rough" again.

I have replaced the lift pump, the feed pipe from the tank, the filter and the stop solenoid. The tank is all good with no rust and is clean inside. The gauze filter is still on the feed pipe in the tank.

As it is an intermittent fault I am running out of options (and money!).

When running right the engine is good and pulls well. I am sure it is to do with fuel and not anything else.

Any ideas anyone?

Leigh Rowland

I've seen suggestions on here a number of times to add a bit of clear fuel pipe before the injector pump so you can see if air is in the system, might be worth a try. After that I guess you have eliminated the cheaper bits :(

You say you've replaced the feed pipe to the pump.

Have you checked the neck of the fuel pickup pipe where it exits the tank? These can corrode and become perforated allowing air to be pulled in.

As Cwazywabbit says, a piece of clear pipe in the line to the IP will tell you if there's air in the system.

HTH.

Mark