Steering column nut

Having recently had all my (1986 Ninety) dashboard apart I've come to reassemble things, and can't find the steering wheel nut :angry:

A quick measure up before I raided the big box of nuts and bolts has lead to some confusion. Thread dia is 13.9mm and pitch is 1.5mm. I started off thinking M14 fine, but no list I could find included that,(M16 fine is 1.5 pitch). It seems this is nothing out of any box of standards :blink:. It's definitely 1.5 pitch and not 16TPI, so imperial threads are not the answer (I was half expecting UNF).

Is this one of Landrover's little specials? Is it a common steering wheel nut size?

LRSeries lists part number CRC2015 but no explanation of thread designation.

Any ideas?

that's the correct nut for a '86 vehicle, microcat only says Imperial 1/2", common size to pre-300tdi vehicle, same as my '89 110.

And the reference to 1/2" is weird, as there's nothing 1/2" about it! Not diameter, not A/F size, and not its thickness. Surely they aren't referring to the root diameter of the thread!!!

You can have the one off my 110 if you want Mickey?

James, that's a kind offer, that I'll gladly accept if I haven't found mine by Friday. It has to be hiding in the cab somewhere... but not somewhere obvious at the moment. Must spend a few more minutes tomorrow, seats out etc. Cheers.

And the reference to 1/2" is weird, as there's nothing 1/2" about it! Not diameter, not A/F size, and not its thickness. Surely they aren't referring to the root diameter of the thread!!!

it might be 1/2" BSW. been far to long for me to remember how to measure BSW threads.

<ANORAK MODE>

Further trawling of Microcat revealed the following steering wheel nut details:

Defender to MA962814 - CRC2015 1/2" UNF

Defender to MA962814 - CRC209 14mm Metric (Also used on XD Wolves)

Defender from MA962815 - CRC209 14mm Metric

Def 2007 MY to 7A743838 - CRC209 14mm Metric

Def 2007 MY to 7A743839 QYH500130 14mm Metric

RRC hard dash to 1992 - 577389 Size not mentioned

RRC Soft dash 1992-1994 - DBP3067L - M12

Discovery 1 200 series - 577389 - Size not mentioned

Discovery 1 300 series - DBP3067L - M12

So Ralph is right that the reference to '1/2" nut' is in fact 1/2" dia, but UNF.

Now it's possible that there is an error in Microcat, but the top two lines suggest 2 different types of steering column used concurrently upto MA962814. Seems unlikely to me though.

My Ninety is an early chassis number at AA255506 (1986) and has the 4-spoke wheel and has the M14 x 1.5mm thread on the column.

1505954993554040_1.jpg

I would have thought at it's age my Ninety would have had the imperial column, not the metric one. When did the steering wheels change shape?

I have owned the truck since 1994 and haven't changed the column in the last 16 years.

BTW a quick G00gle shows that M14 x 1.5 is a fairly common wheel nut size on cars.

</ANORAK MODE>

What size is the nut from your 110 James?

Now it's possible that there is an error in Microcat, but the top two lines suggest 2 different types of steering column used concurrently upto MA962814. Seems unlikely to me though.

I known LandRover would use different parts manufacturers for a part at the same time. If stock ran out they would fit the other, so it could be possible two thread types where used at the same time I think.

I've measured the nut off my 110 (1993 CSW) and I came up with the following:

Nut across flats (AF): 27/32" or 22mm

Thread major diameter: 17/32" or 13.6mm

Allowing for the error factor of me using a standard tape measure rather than calipers, I'd say the thread appears to be about the same as the thread you measured on your column.

My Ninety is an early chassis number at AA255506 (1986) and has the 4-spoke wheel and has the M14 x 1.5mm thread on the column.

there are 2 columns in use

a thin 36 spline which your 90 & my '89 110CSW has & 200Tdi Defenders

300tdi use the thick 48 spline version & the XS has the thin 36 spline

later Td5 & the Tdci Pums use both on various models depending on their build spec.

I've measured the nut off my 110 (1993 CSW) and I came up with the following:

Nut across flats (AF): 27/32" or 22mm

Thread major diameter: 17/32" or 13.6mm

Allowing for the error factor of me using a standard tape measure rather than calipers, I'd say the thread appears to be about the same as the thread you measured on your column.

I use a 22mm spanner to move the column nut on my '89 110csw, it had the same 4 spoke wheel as your 90. but now sports the 36 spline Td5 XS steering wheel.