repainting the truck

well i have finally managed to source some replacement wings for my truck - but they aint the right colour. So my 90 is going to be epsom green, with a plum coloured roof, red door and 2 mismatched wings. Plus every panel has a miriad of scratches.

so its time to repaint the thing. I;m going to do it by hand, with the gloss roller and paint brush method mentioned many times on various forums and on here.

But my question is, who is the best supplier for coach enamel types paints and what is the code of epsom green - as i would like to keep it that colour?

cheers

Nick

Anyone know the how much paint approx you would need for a 110 minus the roof?

Somebody told me 2.5l should do a 90 several times.

I've had a 10l can of nato green and give the landy at least 3 coats every summer, 3 years later i'm not even halfway through the can but I have a soft top 90 so not as much to cover...

It depends how many coats you are planning to put on but a 5l can should easily do it and leave plenty for touching up at a later date. :D

• 1 month later...

time for an update!

for my birthday i got a pair of relatively good wings, some paint, brushes and foam rollers and i was set!

so here`s a quick pictorial of what it started as and what it is now (nearly finished)

first 3 pictures are of what it was like, both front wings totally bent and smashed back in to 'shape' with a lump hammer and blocks of wood on more than one occassion, not a straight panel really on the truck, sooooo many scratches that the paintwork was actually matt instead of glossy epsom green, red door and dark red roof from its periods of 'upside down-ness'.

Now i wasnt bothered about the bodywork too much, mainly just the wings and get the paintwork better so it doesnt actually look completely embarrassing to drive!

only things left to do now are to fit the front wings and repaint the fromt slam panel and spray some black on the light surrounds and grill!

what do ya think?

post-2947-0-01187900-1310651327_thumb.jpg

post-2947-0-28278900-1310651336_thumb.jpg

post-2947-0-02823700-1310651506_thumb.jpg

post-2947-0-94397700-1310651521_thumb.jpg

post-2947-0-88032600-1310651530_thumb.jpg

post-2947-0-36816600-1310651539_thumb.jpg

post-2947-0-70923400-1310651548_thumb.jpg

post-2947-0-09512000-1310651561_thumb.jpg

post-2947-0-17211600-1310651568_thumb.jpg

post-2947-0-39364300-1310651574_thumb.jpg

post-2947-0-79342900-1310651579_thumb.jpg

I used trade paints and its bronze green. I've used about 1.5 litres (the rest can get stored for touch ups) and about 6 foam rollers and a 1/2" + 2" brush for the hard to roll bits. Oh and a litre of white spirit for thinning the paint and cleaning brushes etc

all in its cost about £70 including sanding disks etc, so not too bad at all for the money. i;ve only been doing 3 hours work at a time due to drying time betweeb coats and its taken 3 days. Reckon i have another 2 hours to go for fitting the wings and the last bits and i'll be done!

ps. really struggling to find the defender country side decals that go across the door and rear tub, anyone got any ideas who might sel them?

pps. making the paintwork shiny really shows up all the dents! much more visible than when the paint had the 'scratched to matt' finish...

it almost got set of fire over lunchtime! 4.5 hours to change just one wing!

i had to literally cut the bloody thing away, every single captive nut on the front of the wing holding it to the slam panel broke and hence span the bolt freely, all the inner wing bolts needed Mr Angry grinder and i had to drill new holes for the expansion tank and fuel filter housing as the wings are from an early B reg.....

then once it was finally on, NONE of the poppets holding the wheel arch on survived, so it hasnt got a wheel arch on either yet.

given up for today, the other wing can stay dented :angry:

• 2 weeks later...