defender rear crossmember

Hi guys i am going to cut the crossmember off as its a bit rusty. my other reason is because i have whacked it pretty hard a few times now and want to do a small bobtail off it by removing about 3 inchs.

has anyone done this? any tips / advice?

it looks pretty easy as i have a side exit exhaust and only removing 3inches means there are no body mountings to re do..

my plan is to literally cut it off and then drill the rivets on the rear tub cut 3inches off everything and re weld it back on / re rivet... do you think it will be this easy?

(mine is a soft top truck cab) - not a fan of tray backs

thanks in advance

oh there was a guy on here selling home made crossmember if he reads this ill buy it.

Hi guys i am going to cut the crossmember off as its a bit rusty. my other reason is because i have whacked it pretty hard a few times now and want to do a small bobtail off it by removing about 3 inchs.

it looks pretty easy as i have a side exit exhaust and only removing 3inches means there are no body mountings to re do..

my plan is to literally cut it off and then drill the rivets on the rear tub cut 3inches off everything and re weld it back on / re rivet... do you think it will be this easy?

thanks in advance

oh there was a guy on here selling home made crossmember if he reads this ill buy it.

Shortened a series 2 by 4" years ago, its easy, just trim, and join! only thing that isnt straightforward may be the sweep in the chassis, and the SVA issues?

crossmembers are easy MIB, S&W, devon, with winch or without!

thanks in advance

post-4958-0-13077500-1309200311_thumb.jpg

I did mine with some 100x50x3 box section and some folded sleeves down the chassis rails and its held up well to a good battering, but it is as easy as you say just don't set the wiring loom on fire as I did, you will be surprised at how much crud is inside the chassis. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...