Prop Shaft Spares and Half Shaft Spares for the Big Trip

I think you are looking into this too much

If you are running normal Tyres and can drive and don't drive like a t**t . Then the chances of you breaking a dif or shaft are all most none

As said before when touring it is not like a site day of who can throw the most mud in the air or climb the biggest hill or cross the deepest water. You don't do any of that when touring . If you find a mud hole in the middle of Arica or Australia then you drive around I as you have the room

I drove 25000 miles around Australia mostly on tracks . I did it in a 90 with standard open axles and towing a heavyish camper trailer and had 235/85 r16 BFG AT Tyres. I had no problem with axles or getting stuck. I did get stuck 400 miles north of Perth. But I had a winch and ground anchor and used that to get me out rather than rev the carp out of the car and going for the chance of blowing something

Lots and lots of people have driven around the world in all sorts of conditions in land rover and had no problem with land rover axles. The problem normally starts with bigger Tyres and a heavy right foot , followed by a bit of showing of to your mates

I don't believe you need to take shafts. Where do you stop, do you want ring and pinions too or just take a diff . You need to keep the weight down and taking stuff like that will just add to that when you don't need them . As said before you can limp in a land rover and that will get you out. That is on major advantage of a land rover over a Toyota or Nissan. They break a shaft that's it you can drive the car anywhere .

Ali

That is on major advantage of a land rover over a Toyota or Nissan. They break a shaft that's it you can drive the car anywhere .

Where do you get that idea from? Practically all LandCruisers and Hilux have the same full-float axles as the LR so can be limped back to town in exact the same way a LR can. Patrols on the other hand do have semi-float axles (don't know if that counts for all of them though) but the chance of breaking one of those axles is very remote, they're very very strong. After all, they beat on them offroad and in comps on 37" on standard axles and they survive.

Where do you get that idea from? Practically all LandCruisers and Hilux have the same full-float axles as the LR so can be limped back to town in exact the same way a LR can. Patrols on the other hand do have semi-float axles (don't know if that counts for all of them though) but the chance of breaking one of those axles is very remote, they're very very strong. After all, they beat on them offroad and in comps on 37" on standard axles and they survive.

Your right they are alot stronger and hence why all the land rover trucks ( manly RRC ) in the outback challenge run with Nissan or Toyota axles or a mix of both

But I have not owned a Toyota or Nissan ( and not planning on it too) but was told the toyotas ( even more so the troupies) are the same as the patrols and can't be driven once the shaft has broken. Obviously you know better

But as I said have not owned one or broken one

Just what I have been told by Toyota owners

To be honest I was almost at the point of thinking that (i.e. "i'm not intending on breaking one as i'm not a idiot" ) but i thought i have spare space and weight so why not,,,,, and so the origional question.

I'll think about it long and hard and then ignore you all..:P I was just chatting with the wife about changing both axles or having the Diffs done and HD shafts........bit expensive though so thats out of the question.

thanks for the honest advice guys. Its been good to hear all sides of this and from people who always know more than me.:rolleyes:

Don't go for HD Shafts you are more likley to damage the diff/Gearbox which can then be both expensive and leave you stuck somewhere, IMHO half shafts are made weaker so that they break before you damage something important Diff/Gearbox and as I say you can keep going without one which may not be the case if you damage something more vital. I can see why people fit HD ones in challenge trucks etc but as has been said above this is not your intent so I would stick with OE ones.

Jason.

Don't go for HD Shafts you are more likley to damage the diff/Gearbox which can then be both expensive and leave you stuck somewhere, IMHO half shafts are made weaker so that they break before you damage something important Diff/Gearbox and as I say you can keep going without one which may not be the case if you damage something more vital. I can see why people fit HD ones in challenge trucks etc but as has been said above this is not your intent so I would stick with OE ones.

Jason.

not_this_****_again.jpg

You would be better off packaging up those heavy spares and leaving them with a reliable relative/friend. When the time comes, use your sat phone to book accomodation in the nearest town/city and then call your friend with the address and DHL it out. By the time you get there your halfshafts and spare diff will be waiting for you! :D

G

Actually thats what we are doing for some things. I have an account with one of the parts dealers and will do just that. DHL don't get everwhere though and it can be expensive and slow in the back end of nowhere.

Expensive and slow yes, but were working on the premise here that you DONT need it :)

I know someone who recently had a whole gearbox shipped to Laos from Ashcrofts. Now that was expensive, but what else do you do?

G

Actually thats what we are doing for some things. I have an account with one of the parts dealers and will do just that. DHL don't get everwhere though and it can be expensive and slow in the back end of nowhere.

I would not worry about it in Aus. Most of the land rover parts places deliver next day or 48 hours if you are in a place in the middle of no where. I buy my parts from a chap in Tasmania which is about 2500 miles from me but they deliver to my place before 11 am the next day

Out of experience I would take pretty much what Ali mentions. I would fit decent props,half shafts and CV's prior to the off - make sure it's OE or Bearmach. Add to Ali's list a bearing scraper and Belzona liquid rubber and liquid metal. Then make sure you can change a UJ with your tools!

buy plenty of American branded cigarettes even if you don't smoke. These have always helped me clearing plant spares & equipment through the back of beyond Africa and Middle East customs/shipping agents. I learnt the lesson pretty early on when I'd forgotten my Fluke scopemeter and it cost me £200 to get it through Fez's local airport/customs.

minature whiskeys........now thats the way forward.

But either way a great tip and fully understood. Although we cannot possibly be seen to bribe the locals that would surely ruin their sensibilities. :lol:

Like they arn't going to ask for a bribe in any case..........:hysterical:

Belzona Polymerics Limited

Claro Road, Harrogate, HG1 4DS England

Telephone: +44 1423 567641

Facsimile: +44 1423 505967

belzona@belzona.co.uk

Or anyone in REME

Don't take booze as a bribe to any Muslim country. The sh*t that you can get into is HUGE and NASTY. Malboro', Bic, T shirts (S/H but clean), Adjustable spanners, Shoe laces, Toothbrushes... Small easy to pack and cheap. Don't make out you are the big wealthy westerner!

Its the muslim ones where they usually ask for the Whiskey.

Thanks for the info. Is there a particular one i might get. There seems to be a few differnet types and mixes. Fixing a hose seems the most likely use?