wiper adapter (STC987) removal

I am trying to remove the old one which is fubar and replace with genuine new one. The passenger wiper has just lost its will to stay on the windscreen despite relocating on the adapter. Noticed the knurling was pretty much gone.

The original grub screw has rusted so cannot remove with a key so I presume only other route is to drill out.

I have sprayed liberally with WD40 and think I have got all remnants out but no sign of bit moving.

Do I just keep trying ignorant brute force or is there a trick?

Thanks

Malcy

I managed to successfully drill mine off too without damaging the wheel box (didn't need any Plusgas or WD40 - just lucky I guess). But what I would say is the grub screws that came with the new adapters were useless! The thread disintegrated on both when I tried to tighten it against the spindle so I ended up replacing both with a decent screws/nuts from my box of goodies :)

I ended up cutting a wedge out with my Dremel and then knocking off the remainder. Guess it had been there 20 years so should not grumble. New wiper blade is an eye opener!!!

Wish I had done ages ago LOL

Thanks for all the pointers

• 1 year later...