top mount intercooler on a 300tdi

tel

hi fellas

my disco 1 has air con so a normal large intercooler is out the question even tho it would be my main choice, i have an izuzu trooper bonnet vent on my truck so what about fitting the izuzu intercooler to give me some more poke,it has a 2" body lift so i have the extra space needed to fit it i think, pipework i can source no problem

am i wasting my time do you recon?

wifey wont let me junk the air con either :)

ahh that makes a difference. what about an l200 intercooler, they are top mounted, although iirc they aren't much bigger than the standard disco ones, just flatter.

alternative would be an uprated standard sized one, bigger area for the same size package.

l200 is 2.5 as well, and some of the import models are 2.8, failing that, mitshubishi shogun top mount? or imprezza, or lancer, in fact most jap turbo's seem to be top mount i/c. have you investigated propane injection? some big gains to be had there when set up properly.

Tel,

From personal experience I can tell you that it's nowhere near as good as in the front. The air seems to be thrown above the surface of the bonnet. It was a different motor once the front was rejigged and it was returned to the front.

HTH

Mo

PIC00016.jpg

I picked up a Sierra Cosworth I/C for diddly squat that measures nicely to fit between the chassis rails on my D1 300TDi Auto with A/C. Just got to get round to fitting it, though might need to get a bit of pipe work done to make it all work with the factory spec one.

Adrian