Propshaft Manufacturer Query

I ordered a propshaft from LRseries recently and was comforted by the fact that their website stated that the propshafts supplied as replacement were hardy spicer. So went ahead with the order and the item turned up with a blue sticker on it.. oh dear.

So after several attempted calls I eventually emailed with my concerns and received a reply which stated that although the item arrived with a britpart sticker, it was in fact made by hardy spicer with GKN uj's and this could be confirmed by the marking on the UJ's and a sticker on the shaft itself that says "inspected and found ok".

I'm really looking for a second opinion here, are there any elements that distinguish a prop made by britpart and a prop made by hardy-spicer? If the gentlemen from LRseries is correct in what he says then that would in effect make this britpart item OEM, two words which I haven't seen together before, but am perfectly happy to accept if the item is in fact made by Hardy spicer, but sourced by britpart. Has anyone had a similar experience? Or knows any details regarding the britpart sourcing? This thread isn't intended to drag up the old blue sticker slagging match, I am aware that has been done to death with the same outcome each time! just looking for a little clarification.

Many Thanks

As a word of warning - GKN, Hardy spicer etc may well make the item, but there is no guarantee that it is to the same specification, tolerances or quality that the OE item was made to. These companies make components for many people, to separate specifications.

Whilst I would not want to cast doubt over the item in question, I have been told that Britpart's MO involves driving the price down very hard with the supplier. Given that the part has to remain physically the same dimensions, all that can give to get the price down is the quality of the materials and/or parts that go up to make it.

just a thought

Mark

If you had a position of respect in the marketplace and someone asked you make something that you knew wouldn't last very long that would be substandard from your point of view. I certainly wouldn't put my name on that item. I may still manufacture it anonomously though.

It may be tricky to stop people putting a GKN UJ in their own propshaft which could be made out of an inferior steel to a GKN one.

Depends on how you define sub-standard - if they are built to the spec specified by the customer after all...

Exactly, GKN/HS (same Company) already do at least two specifications of the 1310 UJ. Clearly they don't regard the weaker one as sub-standard, just a lower specification.

It would concern me that some Britpart parts are dimensionally incorrect, which suggests that either their specifying or quality control is sub standard. My conclusion is that I wouldn't use them for anything that I would mind failing.

Bailey Morris on the other hand know their onions and provide what is specified, in my experience.