PTO on the LT230T Transfer Gearbox

Boydie

I'm in the throws of replacing my ZF auto with a 5 speed R380 manual.rolleyes.gif I've had the R380 overhauled and the gear cluster cross drilled etc. however I want to retain the existing auto oil cooler, or if the flow is too limited a conventional oil cooler with a auxillary oil pump to circulate oil from the R380.

To this end I've tapped two 1/2" BSP connections into the box, one in the bottom for the supply to the pump and the return is in the top directly over the main gear cluster, I toyed with fitting a 3/8" alloy tube connected to this supply port with holes drilled allong it's length inside the box as a distributor but space was tight and it was begining to get too complicated.blink.gif

Okay, to my question without notice. I have two options, one is a 12 volt electric pump mounted external to the R380, option 2 and my prefered choice is to mount a direct driven pump on the PTO cover. Drilling the cover to accept an oil seal for the pump drive shaft and tapping the cover to take the pump isnt an issue as there in enough meat in the cover and so long as the pump isnt more than 160mm it will fit without any need to alter the bodywork.

So, can anyone tell me what "connection" if any is supplied in the internal PTO shaft?sad.gif I dont want to have to go and buy another LT230T just to garner this infomation unless I really have to.

1) Does the R380 not have an oil cooler takeoff on the side anyway, blanked off with a little link bit that bolts on?

2) Why does your R380 need an oil cooler? The oil's not doing the same job as it was in the autobox and the manual boxes rarely need extra cooling.

3) Small electric pump should be plenty I would think.

4) You do know you can buy LT230 PTO's with hydrualic pumps on don't you?

the box has an oil pump already, so I dont think you need an additional pump for this. Further to fridges comment, I haven't found a need for a cooler on a manual box, when used in conjuntion with modest engine power.

Daan

the box has an oil pump already, so I dont think you need an additional pump for this. Further to fridges comment, I haven't found a need for a cooler on a manual box, when used in conjuntion with modest engine power.

Daan

Ok, I guess you could be right but you guys are all in the UK and I'm in the land of Oz, and our summertime temperatures here are slightly higher, I'm planning to do a round Australia trip and expecting ambient temperatures around 40 degrees and yes, the R380 has an internal pump which is needed (I assume) to circulate oil up to the input gears due to the depth of the gearbox. I was looking to give the oil, and the gearbox some additional protection with the inclusion of an oil cooler

1) Does the R380 not have an oil cooler takeoff on the side anyway, blanked off with a little link bit that bolts on?

2) Why does your R380 need an oil cooler? The oil's not doing the same job as it was in the autobox and the manual boxes rarely need extra cooling.

3) Small electric pump should be plenty I would think.

4) You do know you can buy LT230 PTO's with hydrualic pumps on don't you?

In reply, and many thanks for your input,

1.) Mine didnt have any take-offs, which is why I tapped them.

2.) I guess an elkectric pump is the go as I dont seem to be having any luck with a mechanical one.

3.) I wasnt aware that a hydraulic pump was available, do you have a part number for it and can I get one from my LR dealership?