Air filter options -Lightweight FFR

Bowie69

I don't come over here very often, as the LWT doesn't give me much bother, and it's standard so I spend much less time on it than my Rangie :ph34r:

A PO decided in their infinite wisdom to remove the oil bath air filter and replace with a K&N which promptly got squashed by the bonnet, this has been on for a while now, but the noise is too much for me in my old age, and want to stick a 'proper' filter on it. Being an FFR the air box is not mounted on the battery tray, but to the left of the radiator right up against the inner wing and grille panel. I still have the brackets attached to the chassis for the oil bath style filter, but frankly I don't want to be messing around with expensive oil and expensive petrol, and making a mess on the drive every service, so want to try and get a later paper-elemented air box in there instead, which should of course keep the noise level down a bit.

So has anyone been there with a series already? I will be heading to the scrappy tomorrow anyways to see what they have kicking around, but would be great to know if say a 2.5 Petrol 90 air box fitted up with the original carb elbow and hose.

I need to pick up the carb elbow and hose at the same time, anything else worth getting? (Standard 2.25 with a Zenith carb on it.... and a K&N plonked on top:()

Thanks,

Pete.

Cheers guys, I took a look at the Defender 300TDI air box, and the Disco 200TDI air box when I got there, but could I find a 200TDI Defender airbox? No :)

So.. I came away with what is supposedly a Range Rover air box(according to a sticker on it), it's not a round 3.9V8 box, or a square soft dash one for sure, but it is round, and has a top exit, side entry, which is what I was after -I think :)

This is coupled to a 90... something base with three legs bolting to the chassis on the near side makes for a pretty compact air box, just need to frig it into position now :)

I had a look in Microcat... the part number RRC4002 comes up as:

Air cleaner assembly, all 4 cylinder petrol models to FA375497

...and also lists asfor the Defender 1987-2006 in Microcat.

So I think I have a 2.5 petrol 90 filter assembly :)

Will get a pic up when finished.

Ta muchly again :)

This is coupled to a 90... something base with three legs bolting to the chassis on the near side makes for a pretty compact air box, just need to frig it into position now :)

I had a look in Microcat... the part number RRC4002 comes up as:

Air cleaner assembly, all 4 cylinder petrol models to FA375497

...and also lists asfor the Defender 1987-2006 in Microcat.

So I think I have a 2.5 petrol 90 filter assembly :)

Will get a pic up when finished.

Ta muchly again :)

Sounds like the air filter that was in my 2.5TD originally. It used to be located on the front passenger side of the engine bay.

Ah, well it could well be exactly that :)

Still, it's all fitted now :)

Well, it will be once I find something to bodge fit the air hose better between box and carb, but very pleased with the reduction in noise!

Some pics as I promised ;)

post-4193-0-92275200-1311704906_thumb.jpg

post-4193-0-88409700-1311704917_thumb.jpg

post-4193-0-56263400-1311704928_thumb.jpg

The thing that made me go for this air box in the end, was the fact it was about 5 inches shorter than the 300TDI Defender and 200TDI Disco air boxes, not sure where to go for a longer hose, the bodginess is strong with this one at the moment.... :ph34r:

Thanks for the pointer guys, maybe this will helps someone in the future :)

Pete.