Replacing the diff pinion oil seal

Les, thank you for the post!

How do I tell if I have excessive play in the pinion/crownwheel mesh? What type of play is that? My front and rear prop shafts have a clockwise-anticlockwise play of approximately 30°-40° - and I guess that's not nice, but that's the problem of my tranfer box/central diff. The same play in the front/rear diffs is smaller.

Is there a simple way of getting rid of it? Where do I find the next pot on rebuilding the diff? (if it exists?)

Excessive play you describe is commonly known as backlash, which may be either pinion/crownwheel mesh or driveshaft/drive member wear (or bearings).

No tech thread on rebuilding a diff - it's very complicated to do it properly, but you can do an acceptable job by 'feel'

Backlash won't cuase the pinion seal to repeatedly fail - poor fitting, worn seal land on the flange, or nose bearing wear are the only things that will cause that.

Les.

Yep, fair weather mechanic me :-). Probably Friday when I "work from home". I will keep you posted.

Cheers

Nick

Mission accomplished. Hitting it with a centre punch just seemed to drive it into the diff, but the self taper through the metal and pull 'er out worked a treat. New seal in no leaks.

Swivel housings greased, speedo cable replaced, air filter changed.....its been a productive day so far.