Question about a 100" hybrid

Tetsu0san

I have been offered a TAX exempt Range Rover that has had a Land Rover body put on to make it a 100" coil sprung Land Rover. There is a heritage document stating its age and proving that it is TAX exempt, but there is nothing on the document about the modification and there is no V5.

I know the conversion was done a long time ago, but as there is no V5 I would have to apply for a new one. As the chassis has been chopped so that there is very little overhang behind the rear wheel, would I need to make the DVLA aware and then have an SVN (or similar) test done to prove it is what it is suppose to be?

Basically I want to know if I am buying what could be an ideal vehicle, or am I on a hiding to nothing. Also, there is no engine in there at the moment, but it will have a V8 engine put in. I suppose this will not have any bearing on the age, but it is another change that the DVLA would need to know.

Advice welcome

Without a V5 I would say give it a miss, unless you don't mind sorting out a tonne of paperwork, inspection and all the agro it takes.

You have no assurance that you will even be able to get a V5, or that the vehicle belongs to the seller in the first place.

To me this sounds like a potential can of worms.

If the seller could produce a V5 I would look on it differently. Why has he not got the V5? If he applied for it but was refused, it's unlikely he'll tell you that.