VHT Paint Curing

SolihullBeast

Bit of an unusual question however need to ask it!

I have several parts which I have painted in VHT paint and the aerosol can suggests that in order for the finish to be durable and resistant to the elements it need to be cured, by being baked for an hour at 90 minute, fair enough.. now to the problem;

As a student I am still living at home and fortunately my mother has been reasonably tolerant with my hobby the the toll it takes on the house.. bedroom being a parts store, bath being a parts cleaner and the like...! however does has anyone had any experience in baking VHT painted items in a domestic oven, will it fill the house with fumes? Stain the oven in any way? make all subsequent meals taste of CFCs? If not then I'll risk it, but I thought I would ask first in case I am about to cause myself problems! (and potentially eviction) I know that often just the heat the vehicle develops itself in the course of functioning cures the paint but it did not work well the last time.

Anyone with any experience on this matter your input would be greatly appreciated

Sam

I've used Sperex VHT many times, and curing it in an oven makes a big difference. If you spray the part, allow it to dry, then fit it - it will go tacky when it gets hot. I oven cure the paint every time (mostly satin black, which looks excellent once cured, and better than air dried). There is a smell, but it goes fairly quickly once the curing has started, and I've not had any damage to the oven itself (unless you do something daft - like spraying it in the oven first :) )

I paint, set the oven on low, then gradually increase over an hour or so until the oven is on max. Switch off the oven, open the door, and allow to cool down.

Les.

I've used VHT caliper pain t from Frosts in the M-i-Laws oven

She never found out- its no problem as long as you are careful with drips and clearing out the fumes :)

a fan oven seems to help in this respect- but obviously reduce by a few degrees and a few minutes otherwise it'll burn.....