Swivell grease question

Hi,

How do you grease the swivels on a td5 front axle as I can’t find a grease nipple only a plug like a diff plug I tried looking it up in the Haynes Manual but couldn’t find anything?

Be kind :( as this might seem a basic question but this running gear is different from my original setup on my early 90.

Cheers

James

Hi,

How do you grease the swivels on a td5 front axle as I can’t find a grease nipple only a plug like a diff plug I tried looking it up in the Haynes Manual but couldn’t find anything?

Be kind :( as this might seem a basic question but this running gear is different from my original setup on my early 90.

Cheers

James

There is a plug like you say on top of the swivel and you need to get a tube of one shot grease (its a bit like a big toothpaste tube) and squeeze it in there, it helps alot if you heat the tube up in hot water first.

And don't forget to turn your steering wheel to the limit. This is so that when you take the plug out, you're not up against the swivel. The one shot won't go in and you'll just make a mess :lol:

G

And don't forget to turn your steering wheel to the limit. This is so that when you take the plug out, you're not up against the swivel. The one shot won't go in and you'll just make a mess :lol:

G

Ahhhh yeah, I never thought of that... wondered why it was a pain in the ass trying to get the stuff in... yup its messy...

Sorry to hijack but do you put a full tube in each swivel or is it a case of seeing how much you can get in?

Yup, a full tube/bag in each. I've used Britpart and Bearmach greese and they come in pre measured "saches". I think i found the Britpart one's the easiest as they come with a wee filler tube...