300tdi Key Wont Turn In Ignition Barrel

AdeParko

I've had a few problems recently where my key wont turn in the ignition barrel to start the engine. The key fits in the barrel perfectly, but sometimes just wont turn

Last night it took over 30mins of wiggling to get it to turn. Tried WD40 in the barrel, but to no help

I assume the only way to fix would be to change the barrel

But I then assume that this will leave me a different key for the ignition, and would have to keep the original key to operate the doors/fuel cap

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Ade

I had the same problem, only once though. Cured by squirting WD40 in the barrel with just the tip of the key inserted in order to get it in the mechanism, seemed to be that the innards were sticking a bit, hasn't manifested the problem since. Could be in your case a worn ignition barrel if WD40 didn't work.

WD40 is a bit carp for this, the best thing is a little squeezy bottle of fine powdered graphite from a hardware store (sold for lubricating padlocks), messy to get in there but the best lubrication for any lock.

However by the sound of it your barrel is probably too far gone to be sorted by lubrication, but worth a try. Yes you will have a different key, unless you get a "lockset" which is all new locks and a new key and about £300. Once you get it sorted, use a squirt of graphite powder into it a couple of times a year and it will last forever.

I had this same problem a little while ago and decided that the only proper solution to the problem was to get a new barrel. Didn't really fancy getting stuck in the middle of nowhere trying to hotwire it! It's a very easy job to change the barrel (5/10 mins) and costs about £30. You will obviously have to keep two keys but I decided that this was a much better option than forking out hundreds to change all the locks.

As well as using graphite powder (you can also sand down pencil lead if you are feeling really frugal), another tip is not to keep a massive bunch of keys, the weight of them bouncing around doesn't do the barrel much good.

• 2 weeks later...

It happened to my Disco as well and I explored lots of ways to fix the problem. After a detailed examination I discovered was the key seemed to go in a touch too far. Almost like the end of the barrel had worn down a little and as a result the key would not turn easily. I wrapped duck tape around the key in such a way it would not go in too far and that solved the problem. However it did present another one in so far as the key wouldn't go in far enough to open the fuel tank.

I brought a second one for that though

Still working today 2 years later

Hugh