110 Detachable Towing

Terrafirma, among others, market a detachable towing kit based on a 2" receiver mount. I have such a system on my Discovery, and find it very useful.

I'd like to add one to my 110, and here's where the problem arises: The previous owner replaced the rear crossmember with a TD5 one, rather than a TDi one. The TDi towpack no longer goes on as the bolt hole spacing underneath the crossmember is different, though a bit of drilling and it would probably go on.

The TF873 from Terrafirma is designed for the upto 1998 models, and fits my 110. The TF877 is for the '98 on, and I think it would fit too (I havn't offered one up to check, but if the holes through the chassis where the tow pack normally bolts on are in the same place on a 300tdi and a TD5, which I'm lead to believe they are, then all should be well.

The TF873 picks up on the rear face of the rear crossmember, and the two chassis rails: here's a picture

post-19166-0-68579400-1313067334_thumb.jpg

The TF877 also seems to pick up on the 2 or 3 holes underneath the crossmember: here's picture

post-19166-0-29056900-1313067343_thumb.jpg

So, which do you think I should fit? If the TD5 chassis holes are in the same place as the TDi then it gives me an extra 2 or 3 holes to fit with. The TD5 crossmember has captive nuts, whereas I understand the TDi one you put your own nuts (pardon the expression) on the inside.

Kev

If you want to have a hitch you can swap between a Disco and a Defender I found that a Dixon Bate drop-hitch will do the job as it will fit both and you can use the shoe/ball/clevice on both, you obviously need two base units, one bolted on each vehicle but you will find that you may have to elongate two of the bolt holes on the Defender rear crossmember, bottom of holes, not sides, in order for the bolt holes to line up, offer up the unit to the bolt holes first to see which ones you may have to file out a little, it's not much, in order for you to fit it in the desired position, some like them higher, some lower. Just remember to only adapt the holes to a minimum as the tow hitch, attachment and fixings are now part of the MOT.

There's also the combined tank guard and removable hitch systems. Southdown used to do one, not sure if they still do; Guardian also do I belive, and have been advertising on ebay. Nigek

southdown no longer make any guards.....not seen the guardian item