Tyre/ Wheel fitting

dm90

I suppose you can fit any width tyre to any width rim if you are determined enough. I have 265-75-15 on 5.5" rims on my tractor though the website recommends 7.5"-9".

However, my tractor is not road legal.

There can be problems with handling and difficulty with seating the beads if the rim is the wrong width. This could have a detrimental effect on your insurance if it were found to be a potential cause of an incident on the road.

I would go with the tyre manufacturer's reccomendations for correct wheel size if you are running on the public road.

Wide tyres on narrow rims can also split around the circumference due to the carcass of the tyre being pulled out of shape. See my previous post and photo here. If left for long enough it would certainly result in catastrophic tyre failure and yes I am sure at that point the insurers might start to bah and harrumph a bit if there was a liability claim on road.

I don't know if relatively narrow tyres on excessively wide rims would suffer a similar fate from the inside out but it would seem possible/likely. More to the point I think 285s on 10" wide rims will look horrible. I've seen 31x11.50R15 on 10" wide rims and it just looked wrong. I think they'd be very inclined to pop off the bead if banged hard on a kerb or something similar, so I just wouldn't do it.

I don't know if relatively narrow tyres on excessively wide rims would suffer a similar fate from the inside out but it would seem possible/likely. More to the point I think 285s on 10" wide rims will look horrible. I've seen 31x11.50R15 on 10" wide rims and it just looked wrong. I think they'd be very inclined to pop off the bead if banged hard on a kerb or something similar, so I just wouldn't do it.

Maybe dm90 was looking for the 'stretched' look. :D