Clutch Flywheel

Had a problem this weekend with clutch pedal becoming soft and not being able to change gear - got the landy (1985 swb90 with Disco 200tdi) to my local garage on the Sunday night, (I work away from home all week)

Thinking it was the slave cylinder, I asked the garage to replace it and do the Master cylinder at same time.

Once they started to do work, I got a call to say that release bearing must have caused problems as the flywheel has suffered a lot a heat and is distorted, they recommend that it should be replaced and I need a new clutch as well.

Alternative option was to see if they could regrind the flywheel, but no guarantees on that option

Question to you tech guys - does this make sense and would there have been any signs that the flywheel was over heating?

Sounds suspect to me. Without removing the gearbox one cannot see the flywheel, clutch etc.. Ask them to continue to change the hydraulics and see what it is like after.

In these circumstances I would certainly be looking for s second opinion. Where abouts are you in Somerset?

Chris

Sounds suspect to me. Without removing the gearbox one cannot see the flywheel, clutch etc.. Ask them to continue to change the hydraulics and see what it is like after.

In these circumstances I would certainly be looking for s second opinion. Where abouts are you in Somerset?

Chris

They have disconnected the gear box - I live near W-S-M

They have disconnected the gear box - I live near W-S-M

Now that seems ecessive when all you asked them to do was change the hydraulics! Did they check with you first? As GBMUD said, i'd have changed the hydraulics and seen how things went unless there were other things like an obvious hole punched in the release arm.

Now that seems ecessive when all you asked them to do was change the hydraulics! Did they check with you first? As GBMUD said, i'd have changed the hydraulics and seen how things went unless there were other things like an obvious hole punched in the release arm.

yes, they called to say that there looked to be something else wrong other than the slave cylinder

I guess you are into having to look at the parts and ask them to show you the problem then.

If you want a second opinion in WSM I can recommend Matt Neale from this forum, drop him a PM and see if he can help. What he lacks in height he makes up for in personality. :)

Chris

I guess you are into having to look at the parts and ask them to show you the problem then.

If you want a second opinion in WSM I can recommend Matt Neale from this forum, drop him a PM and see if he can help. What he lacks in height he makes up for in personality. :)

Chris

Thanks guys - the mechanic at the garage did say i could have a good look, just wanted to know if there could have been an indication before the clutch pedal went soft.

Flywheel are pretty think steel, it would take a lot of heat to warp one, they're about 30mm thick... just googled warped flywheel and it does happen but couldn't find much on land rover warped flywheels, Give these chaps a ring Rakeway they know there business with hi power clutches etc, they can tell you how easy it is to warp a flywheel.

You do get surface cracking on flywheels due to local stresses and excessive heat but to actualy bend one out of plane, sounds suspect.

Just thinking a bit more and surely you would warp the annulas plate before the flywheel, this is a lot thinner then the flywheel?

Edited by Maverik

Hydraulics do seem the likely culprit - that said, if they had carried out a change of slave & master and it was still tits... I'd have expected them to tell you and ask for an ok to pull the engine / box (albeit they may have done so in the spirit of wanting to fix a genuine issue) As it appears they have done so, and found a snag with the release bearing etc etc (all seems slightly odd) I would ask to see the bits.

I recently did my clutch AND changed the flywheel - never checked mine for warping, however there were clear 'high spots' where it had been slipping, overheated the flywheel localy (visible by very obvious blueing) hardening it and thus exacerbating the problem. When it flash-rusted post removal the rust didn't form on the overheaded areas - further indication of local change in metal structure. I've got the old flywheel to re-grind when I have time but a new one went straight on; the pressure plate was similarly aflicted.

Have a look at your flywheel and pressure plate. If indeed there is significant blueing then it does need replacement. If there is none then there's no way it's overheated let alone warped and I'd be asking questions. Condition of the pressure plate, release bearing and fork will be good indicators, however, unlike a flywheel these are frequently changed and could have come off a different vehicle (or their 'stock' of knackered bits) if they were indeed seeking to pull the wool.

Jim

I have never come across a warped flywheel on any vehicle. I guess it might be possible on a little Eurobox with a thinner flywheel, but not the huge lump of iron that's on a TDI engine. I can't understand why they removed the gearbox - did they fit the hydraulics and test it before deciding to take the box off?

Flywheels can be skimmed to remove scoring, high spots, etc.

Les.