Trans-atlantic shipping

ajh

The basics of getting a container from the UK to Canada seem simple enough but I am running into some hurdles that I hope you guys might be able to clarify since this will be my first time handling the entire process.

The first issue is loading time, the shippers I've talked to want to loadat a dock and in 3 hours or less. Given that I want to get large body parts in the container I figured on building scaffolding to secure things which will take a while.

The second thing is getting all the shipmentsin the same place prior to loading, somewhere that I can get access to pressure wash all the used parts (soil contamination is a major concern of the port inspectors on this end) and store everything until loading.

I am happy to come over and do the loading and paperwork etc., so any suggestions would be helpful, especially those that help keep expenses down as I am also helping a number of other enthusiasts get things here.

I think you should be able to get a container dropped at a commercial yard near the docks, load at your leisure, and then the container is loaded onto a truck and taken to the port area prior to loading onto the vessel (rather than loading directly at port).

I did this in Kenya, and after customs inspection arranged to have the container driven a short distance away to a yard where I could unload.

I think it would be worth getting in touch with a UK shipping and forwarding agent and they will probably be able to point you in the direction of a facility you can use, as I don't think this will be unusual.

I used these guys - www.supremefreight.com

I've used a company called Regional Freight Services who will consolidate a shipment and take care of containerising it etc. I've brought shipments in from different parts of the world where different suppliers have sent to their hub in the origin country and they have delivered it to me here.

Although they charge a small premium for the service, I have made a saving overall as they get better shipping rates than I could individually and they are very good at classifying items to attract the minimum duty!

Talk to Paul Hearne on +44 (0) 208917 3211.

Si