building a roofliner for brian

discomikey

how do i stick my fabric to a concave surface without it sagging, i also want to put some padding down first, mainly to hide the imperfections in the fibreglass i have made :ph34r:

its not bad for a first attempt but i have learnt, pictures to follow when i get round to it

will the fabric finishing stick to the foam?

Well you'll need to stick the foam up first and then the fabric onto the foam but you'll need to check that your choice of adhesive doesn't melt either of them. BTW you can buy material which already has a thin foam backing attached - example here.

An example of spray adhesive here. I've also used spray adhesive from Screwfix and other places but do make sure it can handle a range of temperatures etc.

Both links go to Woolies trim who have always given me good service but I've used other too - google for things like car upholstery supplies or coach trimming supplies.

thanks im going to be using a slightly thicker foam than i need to hide the imperfections in the fibreglass as the end product is far from perfect, but will respond to a sand and a fill.

in hindsight we should have used the thicker more coarse fibreglass stuff rather than the thinner stuff i used, as it is wuite flexible and the back corners are hard to mould right but easier to ude with the thicker stuff which i then used to fix it. i also put a couple of strips of the thicker stuff along it to strengthen it.

also i moulded the fibreglass onto some soundproofing to get rid of some wind noise at 70+ in hindsigt to help keep the shape whilst moulding the fibreglass i should have used a lot of hairspray once i had got a nice shape as to stop it from moving.

when i get round to picturing it, you will see that it is only 2/3 of the full lenght back to front. thats cos it will meet my radio shelf, and if i can get it to look smooth, it will hopefully look good as well as dampen a lot of the wind noise.

im helping me mate make one soon so i will take these into consideration in the next one.